In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Sweet 16

SeawishSeawish Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Would you experts highly recommend this Shotgun for pheaseants? Or what is my best bang for the buck for pheasant hunting under $800.00? And what barrel length do you recommend (for 16 & 12 if it makes a difference which I doubt) or should I go w/ a 12 gauge? Should I go pump, semi auto, over under or side X side? Previously I've only shot duck and my Browning Gold 12 ga. 3 1/2" 28" barrel seems like overkill to me. Am I wrong? Any help would be great. I know little to nothing about pheasant hunting other than not to shoot the dog if possible.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    RedchesRedches Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Seawish. I've hunted Pheasant in ND since 1987. For all practical purpose, your Browning gold is allready an almost perfect pheasant gun. If your hunting early in the season, a 28" barrel with 2 3/4" 5 or 6 shot and barrel set at modified will be good. If its late/cold in the season switch to 2 3/4" 4 shot and use full choke on those December roosters if necessary. Also, if you reload,or what have you, buy 2 3/4" Magnums for the "experienced" birds you will encounter. As 3" magnums are not as fast as the 2 3/4" magnums. You know what my "pheasant gun" is? an 870 wingmaster magnum with a 29" barrel and permanent full choke. Works like a champ. (sometimes gotta let them get out their a bit) I also have a 20 gauge BPS usually set to modified for earlier season hunts. I have an Auto-5 too, but old betsy (870) accounts for most kills throughout the season......Don't get caught up in thinking you need a "special gun" for pheasants.....yours allready is perfect........RED P.S. UNLESS,,,,you need an excuse for a new shotgun, that is a whole new subject [;)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a lot smaller variety of ammo available for 16 gauge these days. That is really the only argument against it. I shoot an O/U, but whatever you are most comfortable with will work, including your Browning.