In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

jacking up no reserves

j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can someone explain to me why people bid on a good deal esp. ones that start at 1 cent 5 or 7 days before it closes? All they do is jack up the prices till the reach retail value. Why not wait till 1 hour before close then go at it, this way chances are you will get alot better price. Also, anyone notice how most of the dealers sell thier guns at what you can buy them for at your local gun shop? This is supposed to be an auction sight, not a retail store, right:?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, discussions of auction practices is not a permitted use of this forum, so expect the moderator to lock your posting very soon.

To answer your question, this a free country and people are pretty much able to do as they please, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Yes, there are a lot of stupid and/or naive bidders out there, but they are almost outnumbered by the stupid and/or naive sellers. Some bidders are just playing games, while others are bottom feeders (looking for bargains). One of the disadvantages of Gunbroker auctions is that, since they don't charge a listing fee, sellers are encouraged to list items at an unrealistically high price, because, even if an item doesn't sell, it doesn't cost them anything. Other sites work differently, but every businessperson has to decide what works best for him.

The bottom line is: If you don't like the way that an auction is going, don't bid.

Neal
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrong forum for this discussion.
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers, Who are you to call bidders looking for a good deal bottom feeders. If they win the auction all is fair, I think that is very rude of you to make that comment. I guess if you get a good deal on the auction, you contact the sell and say this item is worth $50 more so I will include it with my money order. I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    steve Thomassteve Thomas Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with calling a bidder a bottom feeder?
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    This belongs on the General Discussion Forums......Not Ask the Experts...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff