In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question on a Turkish 8mm mauser

Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
couldnt resist grabbing one of those cheap 8mm mausers from SOG since the plinking ammo was soooooo dirt cheap----figured it would make for lots of inexpensiv plinking
well cleaned up the rifle nice
loaded one stripper clip of that surplus ammo
proceeded to 'plink'
but alas
each and every round in the clip failed to fire
each primer had a nice deep indentation but ---no-fire
would it be bad ammo
or could it be a problem with the rifle??? TIA

Comments

• Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local gun store and buy a box of good 8mm ammo and you'll know if it's your gun or the ammo. If you have the Turk ammo, I bought a bandolier of 70 rounds awhile back and had 15 that wouldn't fire. The rest were pretty accurate though. Good luck.

All I needed to know, I learned from Gilligan's Island.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As suggested by lead, your problem probably lies in the ammo. The newest Turk ammo I've seen has been 60 years old. While working on your problem, it would be a good idea to detail strip and clean the interior of your bolt, mainspring, firing pin, etc. if you haven't already done so. These are usually packed full of grease which can slow and reduce the force of the firing pin strike on the primer. Instructions for disassembly can be found in the Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly, Part IV, Centerfire Rifles or The NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly, among others. As the Turk ammo is loaded with corrosive primers you'll want to clean the bore with hot, soapy water following a successful shooting session, or use another effective bore cleaner. If you are a reloader, you might wish to consider salvaging the bullets and powder from the Turk ammo and reloading them into reloadable cases using non-corrosive Boxer primers.
  • Options
    TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO ADD TO WHAT D.G. SAID GO TO SURPLUSRIFLE.COM. THEY HAVE A LOT OF GREAT INFO WITH EXAMPLES AND INSTRUCTIONS. THEY SHOW HOW TO STRIP AND REASSEMBLE THE BOLT AS WELL AS MANY OTHER PROCEDURES.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have had bandoliers of that ammo that all rounds have fired, I alos have had a couple that none have. But the live ammo is cheaper than I can buy reloading bullets for.....

rich

Why does everyone feel the need to burn that much powder?
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    As D.G. stated take the bolt apart because I can assure you it is full of grease or cosmoline. I have 150+ of the Turks that we bought as u-fix-ems and each one that I have went through so far had the exact same problem with ammo not going off. Clean the bolt housing out and problem solved. I have shot a lot of the surplus 8mm and after cleaning bolt the all go off. I even run the ammo that didn't go off back through after cleaning and they went off.[8D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A can of brake parts cleaner with the little tube on it works good to get the crud blown out of the bolts.

Mobuck
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Do Yourself a favor...Take the Bolt apart and clean it correctly...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff