In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8x56 reloading

mgossermgosser Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
where is the best place to order 8x56 brass? And how much can expect to pay?[?]

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    8x56 or 8x57 (aka 8mm Mauser)?
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mgosser, There are at least two 8X56 cartridges. The 8X56R Hungarian
    and the 8X56 Mannlicher Schoenauer. I believe the only rifles chambered for the 8X56 MS were Mannlicher Schoenauers. If you have one of these, that is what you need. I believe the 8X56R Hungarian is a military cartridge and should be easier to find.
  • Options
    nam barneynam barney Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grafs are accepting backorders for 8X56R brass but you better hurry and get on the wagon if you want some. It will be in soon.Expected availability is April, according to the flyer I received today. Go to www.grafs.com and enter cat.# gru8X56R for more info.
    Also Midway is accepting backorders for Lee's .329 bullet mold if you're interested in casting your own.
    nb
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    There are actually 3
    8X56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
    8x56R, Hungarian
    8X56R Hungarian, Bertram

Since he didn't put the R on the post then Mannlicher-Schoenauer

t_gulfyc.jpg
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of knowledge posted here, but it's fragmented. I'm willing to bet that you're after the 8x56R mm Hungarian round as used in the Steyr-Mannlicher straight-pull action rifles. There is no one "best place" to buy the brass that I'm aware of. I've purchased it from both Graf and Huntington. The easiest to obtain is made by Bertram Brass of Australia, and it runs about $25 per box of 20. If you are an avid handloader you can form suitable cases from 7.62x54R mm Russian. I have a special forming die, but others seem to fireform them successfully. They are a bit short, but they work well. As alluded to, above, Graf is going to soon be stocking Hornady-made brass for the 8x56R mm as well as several other obsolete military cases. I recently acquired some of their 6.5mm Carcano and am very satisfied; so getting your order in early would be a good idea.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22WRF, I can find no mention of the 8X56R, Hungarian, Bertram in Cartridges Of The World. Is it a wildcat? Where and when were rifles chambered for it? How is it different from the 8X56R Hungarian? TIA
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Herschel
    I guess I didn't type what meant to say.
    The Cal/Case is the same except the Bertram brass is boxer primed instead of Berdan.

t_gulfyc.jpg
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    www.grafs.com get in on the order for the Frontier brand 8X56R brass. www.buffaloarms.com makes it from 45/70 shells. Hard part is bullets. Buffalo arms has them, otherwise you might need to get a bullet reducing die as proper size is .329".

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf