In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sks high cap. mags

cjkusnierzcjkusnierz Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
can any one tell me if i can change the fixed mag size on my sks to a 20 or 30 round fixed mag i dont know if this would be legal or not.my sks has a grenade launcher and a bayonet it is a mod.59/66

Comments

• Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you are.

My two cents? Don't do it. All the problems I've ever heard concerning SKS's were the ones that had their 10-round magazines altered in some way.
  • Options
    j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your rifle is pre-ban--yes it would be legal. Seeing you have a sks chances are it is pre-ban. Only thing is there is no fixed 30 rd. mags. Why not just use detachable, as long as you dont have a pistol grip, flash supressor, bayonet lug, grenade launcher or folding stock? They allow you 2 of these features before becomming ilegal. Any questions, just e-mail me.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    My advice is, don't bother. I've never had a high cap mag that worked quite like it was supposed to on an SKS.
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Search hard for a D model, takes Ak mags.

I have seen some tweny round fixed mags, work great. The removable ones on the market don't always fit, every one I have bought is a little bit different.

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been lucky to have most 20RD or less Mags work well for me.I would like to find a standard Mag for my Norinco,but no luck.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have available the original fixed 10rd mags. I also have the fixed 20rd mag and fixed 30rd mags available. LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a GB forum search on SKS you will find a ton of stuff. I have the fixed/non-detachable chinese 20rd mag with the star on my norinco. It works ok. It will feed all 20rds, getting more than one stripper in it is a pain. I find for the range it's easiest to just load it by hand. Stay away from those USA detachable 30rd with the duck bill mags none of them work.

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    PyrobobyPyroboby Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend bought a 30 round magazine for his yugo and the tips of the bullets get stuck on the front of the magazine with you try to bring the bolt forward. Any suggestions???
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pyroboby, i your friend "easing" the bolt forward {wrong} when he tries to strip a round or is he letting the bolt {naturally}slam forward as it is supposed to do?
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with the 10 round original fixed magazine. I have a ton of detachable USA 20-30 rounders with the duck bill
    some work perfect and some jam a lot. They are not reliable most of the time.

Bruce