In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charles Daly vs. Remington, Browning, etc.

woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've been very interested in picking up a semi auto in 28 gauge. I am wondering if you'd share your thoughts with me on the Charles Daly semi auto's. I have a remington 1187 in 20 ga. and love it. I wonder if the Daly is inferior or if it's a quality gun? The price seems to be right on the Daly.

Thanks,

woodyd

Comments

• Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savages are right for the price, Eaa, Baikal, etc, are right for the price the Daly however is not worth it i have heard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heavy Barrel, Savage doesn't sell semi autos to my knowledge, and baikal only sells 12 gauges and I think eaa only sells the 12 also. I'm not sure if you read my question very well, but I'm looking for a 28 GAUGE, SEMI AUTO.............

thanks,

woodyd
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was making a general statement that Daly regardless of the product is not in the same class as other guns {again, regardless of gun} in the same price range.
  • Options
    djcissedjcisse Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the 28 gauge but I have heard that the 12 gauge is a pretty good gun for the money. I have also seen several of the 20 gauge autos sent back for repair.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't think you can go wrong with an 1100 28 gauge... I've had numerous small-bore 1100 shotguns throughout the years and have had good luck with them all, but currently just have one in .410. I use Benelli SBE for my 12 gauge, however - for ease of cleaning and multi-purpose uses.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 1100 is the way to go for a semi-auto 28 ga. I know several shooters at my club that have charles daley 12 gauges. They sell for $300 +/- at the local Wally World. Remember, you get what you pay for. You may have answered your question when said you had a Remington 11-87 and loved it. You will get much more for your money with the Remington.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay away from Charles Daly! I bought one of their Semi-Auto 12ga thinking wow $250 for a new Semi-auto 12! Bad idea! The gun double feeded from the factory.
    I took it trap shooting and thought it worked fine. But when shooting trap you only shoot one shot, no need to load the magazine. Took it out Pheasant hunting loaded the chamber loaded the tube, took a shot at a pheasant & wham worst possible jam ever! Both shells popped out of the magazine tube completely locking the gun up. Had to use a screwdriver to pry it apart. Gun quickly became a single shot for the rest of the hunt. Sent it back to the factory, got it back & sold it. Stick with what you know.

I'm actually looking into the EAA IZ43 line of over under & side by sides shotguns. Some good friends have them & tell me they work great.

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    PemsPems Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know anything about the semi-auto, but I have a 12ga o/u Charles Daly and it is the best shotgun for me that I have ever owned. Used Ruger and Browning and wouldn't trade the Charles Daly for anything. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charles Daly has made or imported a variety of shotguns of varying quality. Some of their O/Us were made in Japan and of excellent quality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a ton guys, sounds like I'll stick with the Remington.

woodyd