In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEF Handi rifle

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does any one have any experience with the NEF/H&R Handi rifle. I've got the bug to get a rifle in .17 HMR. I looked at the Marlin .17VS, it seems pretty nice but maybe the Handi rifle in .17 HMR and an extra barrel in a large caliber would be a better alternative. I'm assuming the rifle's design will accept both a rim fire and center fire barrel? Any suggestions on a place to buy a Handi Rifle?

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a New England Firearms Handi rifle in .223, i sent it back to the factory and had it fitted with a .22 Hornet barrel and a 20 gauge
    fully rifled slug barrel, all three have a scope mounted, nothing
    high end. I am looking to trade this but i'm not sure what the package is worth. Any thoughts on value, thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My nephew brought me his NEF handi rifle in .223 to extract a spent case that would not eject. I managed to press it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end.

It seems like the extractor/ejector doesn't grab the rim of the case and extract it. One of two things happens...1. The extractor/ejector misses the rim altogether and pops out without the case, or 2. the extractor/ejector does not pop out when the gun is broke open.

It seems worse with spent cases as live rounds usually eject. I thought dirty or tight chamber, but after a thorough cleaning it still does it. Is this problematic with handi rifles? Any ideas?
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had one in .223. great lil gun. would do great as a trainer for a child, especially in .17hmr.

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice gun, we have sold a few. Had a customer tell me though that the barrel heats up very quickly and the shot groupings get worse the more times in a row its shot.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "generic" Contender as some of us call the handy rifle will do an excellent job for most people.Go for one,Bob.
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5 of them they are grate for the hand loader all group well. But I do not have the .17 if it is like the rest you will enjoy it.
    Good luck.

You'v gota kill it to grill it