In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAPT. KIRK: KENT FIREARMS LTD. ??? CANT FIND INFO

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
1. mauser action sporting rifle (bolt action)
2. .308 cal.
3. 22 inch BBL (free floating)
4. timney trigger(two stage adjustable)
5. internal box magazine
6. 42" OAL
7. left handed turned down(scalloped to clear scope) bolt saftey
8. williams adjustable(windage and elevation) micro click rear sight mounted 4 1/2" forward of the reciever/BBL connection
9. williams hooded front sight
10. leupold vari-x-III 3.5x10 scope on weaver mounts
11. TOP OF BBL: -KENT FIREARMS LTD.-
-E. WOODLAND AVE SPRINGFIELD PENN-
-CAL.308-
12. RECIEVER(LEFT HAND): H 5911
13. shotgun style recoil reducing butpad
14. american harwood pistol grip one piece stock

this gun is in NRA EXCELLANT condition. the bluing is perfectly intact. the stock, while plain and uncheckered/unadorned is in perfect shape. the scope and mounts and sights are in perfect condition. i believe ita a german mauser action, but it has no markings. i feel that the bolt/safty/bolt releaselbox mag indicate german origin, but i am not 100% positive. this gun appears to have been made by a quality professional gunsmith or arms maker.

who is KENT FIREARMS LTD??? how do i identify country of origin and model of action??? what is it worth??? is 22" a good BBL length for .308??? opinions and value of the scope??? any feed back or info/history would be helpful. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Without any proofmarks (?) it may be impossible to tell the origin of the action. I would search the net for reference to Kent Ltd. and/or contact them directly. The scope is very good.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    MikeL: I just got home a few minutes ago...and got your message...looked in the database and find nothing on KENT Firearms LTD..! I believe P3skyking made the right call on this one...Give the information Operator the name and address and see what they have to say....best....Kirk

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i tried a google reverse directory search, to no avail. i even tried the spingfield penn. website/hompage with no results. i emailed the towns chamber of commerce, with no result. i even called the 8 numbers with the name kent in the springfield phonebook. i must admit that i am at a loss on this one. the gun is well made, timney triggers are not cheap, and grices gun shop has the scope listed at $499.99 on sale. i do not know how to continue. even tried the american firearms retailors association list, with no info found.

i do appreciate the attempts at assistance, i know there are people across north america checking referance books, and web sights for me. if anybody finds the answer please let me know. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Mike,
    I too, did an online search much as you did with the same results. I was too lazy to go the next step and email all the gunsmiths in that area asking if any remember Kent Ltd. Perhaps they would know when it was operated and possibly have someone in their employ who was there. Sometimes you just gotta settle for hitting a dead end. Good luck!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I tried the same as P3Skyking...No Luck.....Sorry.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hesitate to even get in on this as there is usually someone lurking in the shadows to critisize a reasonable guess but here goes...

First, take the barrelled action out of the stock and look at the underside of both the barrel and receiver. There is usually a set of proof marks on the barrel bottom or just behind the recoil lug on the flat of the receiver.

These rifles were put together by various countries in the late 50's/early 60's and sold through a network of small distributors throughout the US and Europe, mostly the US. I've had several of these with different, single letters preceding a 4 digit number. They are all just fine for general purpose rifles. As you know, it pays to check the headspace and safety functions before purchase if possible.

Kent Firearms LTD. was probably a distributor (individual) working from a home or small rental space for a short period of time just to import some inexpensive rifles and such for resale here in the States. This is based on the guess of late 50's/early 60's when mail order firearms were common and inexpensive but before the legislation of 1968.

The scope is fairly extravagant considering that the rifle by itself is usually valued at about $200.00 - $225.00 depending on the area of the country. The Timney trigger is a much later addition since none of these came into this country with them installed.

A last thought, you might want to look under the front ring scope mount to see if there is any information on the front ring. Also check under the bolt handle at the root where it joins the bolt body.

These are just guesses but based on having seen several of these over the years.

Regards.