In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 mag bowling pin loads

deeremandeereman Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any ideas on a good load for pins. I plan to use lead swc bullets at about 158 to 180 grains.

Comments

• Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best .357 pin load I found was the semi-wad (Keith type) 168 gr. in
    a Lyman type #2 alloy using 7.0 grs Unique powder. As I used a
    Colt Python had to keep the L.O.A. down to 1.568". While not a
    maxium load it sure lofted pins great and recoil was not too strong
    for next shot quick recovery. Some guns will accept the L.O.A. when
    using the crimping groove. My Python doesnt. Chamber check EACH
    match round. One high primer can really foul up a good run.
    "Aim for the white part"
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Why would you even consider giving an over-the-top load over the internet? Page 128 of Midway's loadmap for .357 shows a 158gr lead rn topping out at 6.2 grains of Unique.
    Page 130 shows similar results w/158gr LSWC.
    There are no listings for Unique after these.
    Pressure differences with Lyman #2 or your own homebrew .002%tin, .83%strontium, 98%copper will be minimal. I wonder how many folks would just grab their Lee dipper for 7gr and start pouring powder trying to make "Major" loads without dropping at least 10%(7gr X .10 =.7 or 6.3gr)to start with, see how well it shoots; and THEN decide to up the beef.
    I'm trying not to rag on anyone in particular, I just want every one to be aware of the possibility of not-good information that MAY damage you or (worse, possibly) your firearms May exist from time to time on the internet

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!