In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mak-90 again!

4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I need some info on a Mak-90. I have a chance to buy one but know nothing about them. I will get to look at it Friday and need to know what to look for.

How can I tell if receiver is milled or stamped? Does it matter?
Which brand is the best or which brand to stay away from?
This gun was bought new in 1991 with around 100 rounds shot thru it.
I trust the guy who is selling it,done business before,he owned it since new.

It comes with 1000 rounds of ammo.

I did a search on all forums and all my questions were not answered.
Should I just buy a new AK-47?

Thanks guys for any info!

"By the time you can make ends meet,they move the ends"

Comments

• Options
    TIREMAN1TIREMAN1 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'M NOT AN EXPERT BUT I DO OWN A NORINCO MAK 90 WITH STAMPED RECEIVER AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. THE MILLED RECEIVERS ARE STRONGER AND COMMAND A HIGHER PRICE. AS FOR THE 1000 ROUNDS, IF A MAGNET WILL ADHERE TO THE BULLET NO RANGES AROUND WHERE I LIVE WILL LET YOU SHOOT THEM. YOU MUST USE COPPER JACKETED OR SOFT POINT. NOT MUCH HELP BUT THE BEST I CAN DO.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stamped are more common. The milled can be identified by the window machined in the side of the receiver just above the mag well. The stamped will have a small indent, the milled window will be about 1"x3". Either will hold up to many tens of thousands of rounds. All MAK-90's are post-ban by definition. MAK90= "M"odified "AK" of 19"90" They came into being after the 1989 ban. The majority of the MAK-90's will have been made by Norinco. The MAK 90 is only legal with a thumbhole stock unless enough of the US parts have been added to allow it to have a pistol grip. In 1991, there weren't any of the US parts available and the loophole of having the US parts installed was not realized until the late 1990's.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a MAK-90 as well. A great gun. Much nicer than the SAR's I see around. Mine has a milled receiver also. The MAK-90 was made by Norinco. How much is he asking? The MAK's in my area have been commanding a premium lately when you can find them at all. All I've seen lately are $500+. You used to be able to get 'em for $350 all day long.

-Marcus

***When the Second Amendment falls, the First will be sure to follow.***
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I'm also no expert, but I do own a norinco, it is much better quality than the Egyptian and eastern european models I've seen. I have no complaints with it whatsoever. It's had nearly 4,000 rounds through it since my brother bought it new and not one single problem. In my opinion it is a very reliable weapon, not pretty, but dependable and very accurate.
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4wheeler;
    The mak-90 is a semi-auto varient of the ak-47 family of rifles. The stamped reciever version is by far the most common. again like it's AK-47 cousin. The milled reciever varient is stronger, and less common, they also are more expensive to produce therefore, they are more expensive to buy. Both are very reliable, tough, forgiving rifles. Again this is oweing to there military roots, the AK-47. Both versions are good rifles, however, A milled reciever is always more durible then the stamped steel one, in my opinion. As far as buying a new AK, A mak-90 is, for all intents and purposes the same rifle with a thumb hoke stock. Unless you are a class3 licensee, a Kolishnakov is not obtainable. All others in the family a semi-auto varients.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Hesse last month, stamped-ugly job, shoots nice, worked well w/Hellfire unit, doesn't like steel-core Norinco, paid $325.
    I'm happy.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!