In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ss factory folder mini 14....restoration

chilipchilip Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
A freind of mine recently purchased a ss factory folder but the previous owner camoflauge spray painted it....stock and all metal parts. What would be the best method to remove this "camo" job while still retaining the original stock finish? Should he just leave it as is? It actually looks pretty cool the way it is but he is interested in having it in original conditiion.

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Any paint remover should work on removing the paint. Keeping the laquer finish on the wood is a trick. I would just remove the laquer and the paint and re finish the wood. It looks a lot better with an oil look instead of the Ruger laquer look. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the metal, obviously anything can be used to remove the finish as it will not hurt the metal.

On the wood, I would try various solvents that might remove the camo while not dissolving the tougher (hopefully) stock finish. ("OPPS" comes to mind as it is great on latex, if the smell does not kill you.) If that does not work, the "strip and refinish" method suggested would be the only choice. I definitely would not leave it as is. The reduction in value would be great.
  • Options
    cmummacmumma Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before completely stripping it, I would try to use mineral spirits to take off the spray paint but not the wood finish. If the mineral spirits does hurt the wood finish, then who cares, you were going to strip it anyway. maybe a call to ruger wouldn't hurt either. they have been very nice whenever I called them.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    If it's just spray paint; get some MPro-7 (old MP-7), spray it on the whole shebang and keep it wet for about 20 minutes. Then just wipe all that crap off your pretty new rifle!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!