In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield Question.

OsageOsage Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've got a Serial No. 281796 Springfield Armory 1903. It's stamped "B.H.M" and "3 CAC 60" on the stock. (Also, the stock has a "leathery" feel to it. How can you tell if it's been refinished?) Can anyone tell me when it was made and roughly the value. Thank you!

Ethan

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the "United States Martial & Collectors Arms" book your Springfield is quite old, they have it being made in 1907.
    Fjestad in the latest B B, has a high value on the early Springfields, but he notes "original condition". How close to original is yours?
  • Options
    OsageOsage Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really don't know how original it is. I'm just not familiar with these guns, so I don't know what to look for. Do the cartouches mean anything?

Ethan
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a date and some markings on the barrel; these might help us. Also, whether the finish is blue or parkerized. Also, the stock shape (straight? scant? pistol grip? grasping groove?)

The stock markings & condition sound like an abused, replacement stock. When new, these rifles had a beautiful blue finish & nice walnut stocks.

I'm guessing that you have a well used, arsenal rebuilt rifle worth in the $200-400 range. Without photos or more details, that's the best that I can do. It's possible that you have a rare, highly desireable original variation, but I'm the eternal pessimist.

Neal
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may wish to check the Springfield forum @ www.jouster.com
  • Options
    WIN 1894WIN 1894 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal is right on. This is a reminder that your rifle has the case-hardened receiver and
    if not recommended for todays ammunition because of the weakness in the receiver. If your rifle is not completely original the value will
    be less than the 1903-A3.

Frank