In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 ammo,US or Russian? is one better

jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've heard conflicting stories about whether to use russian ammo in my ar15 or not. it's so much cheaper, but not worth it if harms my gun or won't work at all. I'm still waiting on the upper and lower for my ar and i need to purchase some ammo. which kind? does it matter?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wolf.... The russian .223 is reliable, but it does use a steel case so is a little harder on your chamber than brass case ammo.
    You can get good brass case ammo like Sellier & Bellot or South African in .223 for a little more.
    In any case they are all non-corrosive. The Russian also has a laquer coating that I hear can melt and gum up your rifle if it get real hot.
    I have shot it in my mini-14 with no problems.
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I would not use steel bullets in any bbl I care about. Maybe in some older surplus gun with a crappy bore. Many of the surplus and Russian cartridges are loaded with steel bullets that have been copper washed. The bullet has the nice gold color but a magnet will tell the tale. I just bought a 100 rds of Sellier & Belliot .303 Brit that was brass cased but steel bullet. From now own I take a magnet with me to buy ammo.

Ray
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot tons of Wolf .223 in my ARs never had a problem. The laquer does get the gun more dirty but that is easily solved by cleaning.

What brand of AR do you have?

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I talked to a dealer who had a customer that had shot enough of the laquer coated ammo that it plugged up the gas tube. He had to send the gun to a gunsmith who could ream out the tube. I guess if you are able to clean this out yourself it would be ok to use the Russian ammo.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, had the guy never heard of lacqeur thinner? I'd stay away from Russian ammo just because their QC isn't the same as it is on this side of the old torn curtain. It's cheap, but... The Korean stuff, PMC, is ok. Soft steel will not bother the hard steel of a barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice Ray.quote:Originally posted by mag
    Personally I would not use steel bullets in any bbl I care about. Maybe in some older surplus gun with a crappy bore. Many of the surplus and Russian cartridges are loaded with steel bullets that have been copper washed. The bullet has the nice gold color but a magnet will tell the tale. I just bought a 100 rds of Sellier & Belliot .303 Brit that was brass cased but steel bullet. From now own I take a magnet with me to buy ammo.

Ray
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am waiting for my Colt upper and Colt lower to arrive thurs. or fri. Drobs.quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I've shot tons of Wolf .223 in my ARs never had a problem. The laquer does get the gun more dirty but that is easily solved by cleaning.

What brand of AR do you have?

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Sunray, I read on one of the other forums, after I posted this question, that american 7.62 is .308 and the foreign is .311, so the american goes "rattling" down the barrel and is consequently, less accurate. True or False???quote:Originally posted by Sunray
    Geez, had the guy never heard of lacqeur thinner? I'd stay away from Russian ammo just because their QC isn't the same as it is on this side of the old torn curtain. It's cheap, but... The Korean stuff, PMC, is ok. Soft steel will not bother the hard steel of a barrel.
  • Options
    landislandis Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf also has a stiffer primer, some guns will experience an occasional misfire, like the Mini-30. If you have an AK varient, it makes no difference whatsoever so go with the cheap Wolf.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunray good point on that lacqeur thinner idea. Never would have thought of something like.

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ