In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrell cutting on sks

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I want to remove the granade launcher on a yugo sks. How do you do that? Do you cut the barrell with a hacksaw? Then I would assume the next process to to finish the end of the barrell to remove burrs. I need advise on this.

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first thing you must do is accurately measure how much barrel you will have left following the "operation". Federal law requires a minimum of 18", and an overall length of 26" butt to muzzle. If you're O.K., then a hacksaw would work. Now you must crown the muzzle, which reqires either a metal lathe or appropriate handtools. A good selection of the latter is available from Brownell's; and although they offer nothing specifically for the SKS, they offer muzzle shaping and chamferring cutters used in a T-handle tool which should do the job with the proper sized pilot. The pilot is inserted into the end of the cutter and runs in the bore to keep the cutting and exterion shaping concentric to the bore. Make that measurement first!
  • Options
    j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I strongly suggest not to cut the barrel. This would effect the integerity of the rifle, besides look like junk. I would take it to your local gun shop and have thier gunsmith remove it. I't should not be more than 75 bucks and it's worth itif you want it done right. But why do you want to remove the launcher anyway's?
  • Options
    j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "CROWN THE MUZZLE"? With a lathe, 2 funny. Don't expect any accuracy after this .
  • Options
    hulvinhulvin Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do not have to cut the barrel to remove grenade launcher.
    Grenade launcher is screwed on a barrel and secured with a cross pin.
    Drive the pin out, secure the end of a barrel in a heavy vise (use 2 hardwood panels in a vise). Now use strong pliers to unscrew the grenade launcher. It is often neccessary to apply a heat from a torch if it doesn't loose off.
    There is always a time to cut the barrel, but doing this just for removing a grenade launcher - is not recommended.
    Hulvin
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Der Gebir.....'
    I seem to recall 16 inches BATF Min.BBl. Length on rifles, 26 Inches O.A.L.
    Shotguns 18 In. Bbl.s and 28In.overall.
    Have the rules been changed?
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negative, Jody, you are correct. My MISTAKE. (There! I said it!)[B)] BUT the overall length is still, I believe, 26". As for your post, Mr.(?)j1r11, how do you crown barrels? How do you think that most folks perform this task? I await your answer and the knowledge it will impart.[}:)]Mr. Hulvin--it might just be that this fellow wishes to have a barrel without threads and/or pin holes (?).
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Der Gebir....
    Wasn't sure my self, just wanted to check, I knew for many years following GCA68 it was 16"BBl.Min. Thanks for clarification.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Der Gebirgsjager,
    I've got the impression that Kissgoodnight asks for the procedure how to remove the grenade launcher.
    The pin hole is on the launcher, and there is only a small slot on the barrel in the threaded area. Those threads are useful if someone wants to have a muzzle brake.
    I cutt off the barrel on one of my SKS and the accuracy is poor. I will never do that again and that is why I do not recommend cutting off, especially if the purpose is to remove the grenade launcher.
    Hulvin
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess what I need to do is remove the grenade launcher and install a muzzle brake. This is a rough gun and not worth a collector and I want a shooter and have the excess removed. I would like to slim it down and shorten it to more compact and sleek look. I hate the word, sportorize. I do not need the grenade launcher or bayonet or grenade sights. I can remove the launcher and put on a muzzel brake if it will shorten the barrell (within legal limits). Do they make a compact replacement?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Kissgoodnight,
    The grenade launcher you are about to remove, can be shortened, turned on a lathe and machined into a muzzle brake.
    Now you would have a cap that covers those threads on your barrel and something which looks like a muzzle brake. When polished and blued it looks very nice.
    If you have a good gunsmith in your area, he can do the job for you.
    Hulvin