In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Least expensive quality AR-15 Lower??

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone reccomend to me the least expensive quality AR-15 lower recievers? I want to build my own varmint rifle and i think i can save some money buying a lower, then a heav barrel upper. Im talking about complete lower recievers here, not stripped.

I dont know a whole lot about building one myself, but as i understand it if i buy a complete lower and complete upper all i have to do is put them together and i have a rifle, right? If not, then what else is required Thanks!?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There ARE some differences. Most importantly, the front hole on a Colt upper won't match the front hole on most other brand lowers (and vice versa); there is a bushing sold to compensate for this.

The primary reasons I recommend against the build-your-own approach are: the finishes won't match, if you have any problem with functioning you have no one to go to for warranty service, and you will get substantially less for a Mixed Parts Mongrel when you want to sell it.

Neal
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal, i never thought about the finishes and resale value.
  • Options
    gurngurn Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a Stinger Arms AR lower for $89 delivered. They are forged lowers and the black color matches my Rock River just fine. Those are stripped. It's not hard at all to put the parts in though.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree with Neal on this one. Unless you are a skilled gun-builder, it's best to avoid trying to assemble your own. And even if you did, you won't save that much.

I suggest you brown-bag-it for lunch for a month or two, and forego the beer on weekends. Then you will have enough money to buy a first class rifle.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have built on every lower ever made including some 80% that I finished and many billets I have machined on my Bridgeport.
    I have made lowers from ForgeCraft waste chunks.
    Right now the Stinger,Rock River and Olympic forged can be bought for less than $100 and are MilSpec.
    cpermd