In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SMLE NO4 MK2 MIX-UP

upinyeupinye Member Posts: 68
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Some time ago I purchased what was advertised as "Barreled Receiver" British Enfield NO4 MK1 from InterOrdnance Co. I only needed the barrel,so when it arrived in two pieces,I stored the receiver away and proceeded to TRY to replace the worn out barrel on my 1943 NO4. The project was more than I could handle,so I put it on the "back burner" Recently I retrived the LIKE NEW receiver and barrel for a second look. It was only then that I noticed the supposedly MK1 receiver was actually a MK2 . BIG DIFFERENCE!! I am now trying to decide what is going on.The receiver is NEW never had a barrel on it. It has NO manufacturer serial # . Interordnance stamped their name and serial # and ERRONIOUS NO4 MK1 on the side. The receiver has many original letters numbers and symbols on it but I don't have a clue what they represent. It was originally advertised as SAVAGE made NO4 MK1 barreled receiver like new condition,however it appears to have British looking symbols on it. The InterOrdnance three digit serial # is 2XX so I am sure they shipped several hundred . Has anyone seen such a thing?? Any idea of when made and by who?

steve

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll have to tell us what the "letters,numbers and symbols" are, thats the only way we can help you.

'
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your receiver was actually made by Savage it will have a square styled "S" in a box symbol. The "S" sometimes looks more like a "5", but it will not say "Made by Savage." The boxed "S" was also stamped on the bolt, magazine, etc. There really isn't that much difference between the No.4 Mk.1 and Mk.2, the primary thing being that in the case of the Mk.2 the trigger was mounted on the bottom of the receiver instead of being mounted to the triggerguard like the Mk.1. If your receiver bears the Savage marking, but has the Mk.2 trigger system, it was likely retrofitted after W.W.II with the new system but was actually produced as a Mk.1.