In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Python s/n question

vipereatervipereater Member Posts: 90
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
My 3" Python has a six (all numeral) digit s/n and stamped in two locations. No letter on either end. I've contacted Colt and they deny ever producing a 3" Python and claim all Pythons had 5 numeral digit serial numbers often with a letter on one end. My s/n also does not exist in Colt's database. So what's with my unusual s/n on a barrel length that doesn't exist? It looks like a Python although it does have unique features. I haven't owned it that long and I have no history or background on it.

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post the serial number, putting the letter "X" in the last two or three places if you feel more comfortable not listing the complete serial number. Please state where the two places are that you find the serial number. Please describe in detail what you believe to be the unique features.

If someone at Colt told you no 3-inch Pythons were ever made, you received bad information. While not common, Pythons were made with 3-inch barrels. So often advice is given here to "call the manufacturer." I think this shows why that can be unreliable at best, and worthless at worst.

Are you sure you are reading the serial number correctly? Sometimes a poorly struck character can be misread.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    s/n is 73xx84. I thought that maybe the 4 could be an A althought it looks like a 4. Colt says that 73xx8a doesn't exist either. With the cylinder out I can see both s/n's. One on the frame and one on the cylinder support. They would touch each other with the cylinder closed.

Features Elliason sight, hammer is double wide where the knurled is, The trigger has a (removeable) piece added to make it double wide, grips are like that of a 4" or 6". Grips could have been changed out (everything else for that matter). Every 3" I've seen have grips like a 2 1/2" would have. And the Colt "horse" stamp on the left side of the frame is mislocated and is 80% covered up by the grip. The barrel rib and stamping looks like other 3" barrels. Any idea of the mfg date?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number locations are normal. The crane always has the same serial number as the frame, because the two parts are fitted to each other. A quick look back through my Colt catalog files reveals that the 3-inch Pythons were offered in 1983 and 1984 only. The model number is I3630. (So much for the Colt representation that no 3-inch Pythons were ever made, although it has happened that items have been cataloged but never actually produced. I have seen 3-inch Pythons so I know they were produced.)

Something "does not compute" here. Either the serial number is being misread, was stamped in error or the revolver was not originally a Python. The serial number given would place it in the early Post-War period if it were an Official Police, or Officers Model.

One answer might be that someone took an Official Police or Officers Model and milled the top strap to accept the Elliason rear sight and installed a Python barrel. The target hammer could also be easily added, as could the target stocks. The trigger shoe is a common after-market accessory. Does the top strap seem to match up well with the barrel? Does the barrel say "Python" on it? What is the finish?

I do not understand about the "horse" stamp (the "Rampant Colt" in Colt-collcetor lingo) being mislocated. What is a "barrel and rib stamping?" Do you mean the roll stamp on the side of the barrel (what does it say?), or the machining (not stamping) of the rib and barrel itself?

Without seeing the revolver, I cannot offer any other answers, but will be glad to continue the discussion. Anyone else have any ideas on this mystery?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The barrel is stamped as follows:
    Left side: PYTHON .357
    * .357 MAGNUM CTG *
    Right side: Colt's PTFA MFG Co.

The hammer has all the width to the left hand side. In other words if the right hand side of the hammer was laid on a table it would lay flat.

I think the grips are early because the checkering form the same radius as the medallion.

Was the serial number hand stamped? Mine appears to be hand stamped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The description of the hammer leads me to believe this is a "custom" revolver. I speculate someone made it up using a "real" Python barrel. The offset hammer sounds like one of the ones King sometimes put on target revolvers to make cocking easier with target stocks, etc..

I still do not understand about the "horse" stamp being mislocated. What does that mean?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a way I can show photos on the board or can I email them to you Judge? You have access to my email address if you want to talk privately. And there's still the mystery with the six digit numeral serial number. And who's this King guy?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Clicking" on your email button does nothing so I cannot email you directly. If you have pictures of this mystery Python, please send them to judgecolt45@hotmail.lcom and I will take a look at them. I would like to see detail on the front top strap, rear sight area, hammer and the "mislocated" Rampant Colt.

King is the name of a firm that modified Colts with special target enhancements (stocks, sights, barrel ribs, hammers, triggers, etc.) from the 1930s (at least) on until I do not know when. Whether there is any relationship to the current King Gun Works, I do not know.