In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77RS in 358 Carbine. How many?

MrGnAMrGnA Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
As you know, Ruger doesn't offer advise on how many of certain rifles were produced and when. So...any anybody, any ideas on how many Ruger 77RS(flat-bolt, front and rear site) in .358Winchester with 18.5 inch barrels were made?

email me at bill@ArmChairHunter.com

Comments

• Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, I was not aware that they had actually produced the gun as you describe. Several years ago Simmons Gun Specialties tried to get enough orders for Ruger to make a run of them, but they were unsuccessful in that effort. My salesman told me that they had to have a minimum of 600 before Ruger would make a special production run. They were supposed to be the RL model (Ultralite) with sights, which I believe were not flatbolts. According to Ronnie Burke, who published a book on Ruger 77's in 1983, the only .358's made to his knowledge were the 77R. If you have such a gun, did you get the original box with it? That would lend credence to it being original. I know this is not much information, but hope it helps.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger did, in fact, produce a Model 77RS, 18&1/2" barrelled, 358 Winchester caliber rifle with iron sights. I bought two (S#772-469XX on 10/04/89 and S#772-471XX on 10/18/89) from Jerry's Sport Center, Newington, Ct. If memory serves correct I believe Ruger produced 500 of these rifles. I think you could contact Eric Sorensen at Jerry's in CT and he might remember the details of that arrangement. These were nice rifles and I am sorry I did not keep one for my personal use.