In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

signature on FFL

edtmontanaedtmontana Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just received a FFL from a buyer and where the signature is, there is a photocopied signature. Then on top of the photocopied signatue is a signature in blue ink. Is this acceptable? I'm new to gunbroker and I don't want to do anything wrong. Thanks for the help. This is the second FFL he sent, the first one was in black ink so I couldn't accept it. Eric [?]

Comments

• Options
    rjpeacockrjpeacock Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The regs say you must have an FFL with an original signature in ink, no photocopies. I always sign my FFL's in blue ink so there is no mistake. This smells like someone with somebody elses FFL trying to make a buy. Be careful on this one. Russ
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy enough to verify. Some FFL's just signed their lisence when they should not of. I ran into this a couple of times. I called the ATF and they said it was acceptable. I did call the FFL and verified with him just to be sure.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree with 4000. When you get your new FFL you are NOT supposed to sign the original. You make a copy of the original and sign the copies. The regulations tell you this and the license itself states this quite clearly under the signature line. What you have is a dummy who signed his origianl license and is now stuck. I doubt that this guy is running a scam, he was just stupid and did not bother to read the instructions for using his license. Run him through the FFL EZ check and if he is a valid dealer and the signature in blue matches the photocopy signature on the license I'd go ahead and do the deal. You were however quite correct to refuse that first copy of the license with the photocopied signature as that copy would not be valid for firearms shippments.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Unless you are a licensee, you are not required to have an original signature. You don't even need a copy of the FFL, although it is preferable. I would run the FFL through the FFL eZ Check and ship to the license address.
  • Options
    seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the correct url for FFL eZ Check:
    http://199.196.145.75/fflezcheck ????
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    You're close. Try this URL:

http://199.196.145.75/FFLeZCheck

The case does matter.
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The firearms school I use has the same problem, he signed his license and now has to sign next to it in blue ink, just call it in to check it out, should be no problems, I have had 4 or 5 guns shipped so far.
    Marc