In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WWII pistol ?

feildtrialfeildtrial Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
i was just shown a pistol by a older gentleman in my area that was taken from a german soilder in WWII.it has a few markings:
ACIER FORGE'
St Etienne
Mle 1892
I think it is a .32 caliber but i'm not sure.any info about this gun would be greatly appreciated.it belongs to a family estate and they are wondering about value and age.please e-mail me at:
foxhunter2746@cs.com
thanks,greg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The French Model 1892 Ordinance Revolver, The cartridge it fires is the 8mm x 27mm Rimmed.
    Used by the French Military for over 50 years.
    Very sturdy and well made. Main drawback is underpowered cartridge, which is very difficult to obtain now.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Based on what I can get out of your post I would guess that it is a French "Lebel" Army revolver Model 1892 in 8mm Lebel. These had barrels around 4-1/2" long. These revolvers had a rather unusual cylinder release latch on the right hand side of the frame which had to be rocked back before the cylinder can be pushed out to the right. There is also a large screw on the upper portion of the right grip and when this is turned the screw forces the left hand side plate away from the frame. The plate is hinged and will then pivot out and expose the lockwork for easey cleaning. I have never seen another revolver with this feature, although the over all design looks a lot like the Italian Model 1889 revolver. Does this sound like your pistol? An example in excellent shape would retail in the $400 range- about half that amount if in average condition.

The 8mm Lebel ammunition is in the same class as the .32 S&W and I have heard of folks trying to fire this ammo in these old French pistols. I advise against this as the case will probably buldge and bind the cylinder (or worse). Fiocchi loads this ammo (expensive over here in the States) and it is somewhat popular in Europe due to its status as an obsolete pistol caliber that is permitted for civilian ownership. These pistols were in service with the French up until the end of WWII and were found in the French colonies and South East Asia for many years after the French replaced them with more modern sidearms. I hope this turns out to be you pistol. If it is not, please post more information.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    feildtrialfeildtrial Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark that sounds about right.I only looked at the gun for a few minutes,but your description seems to be better than mine.Thanks to both of you for your help.I'm sure I'll be visiting this sight a lot now knowing that there is a wealth of information here in the users!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!
    Greg
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark is likely correct-darn him.
    I have seen "ACIER" on some early shotguns-Browning A-5 types. Would
    like to know what this wording means.
    Re: Fiochi-I have purchased this ammo from the old western scrounger
    now in Yreka, Ca. I received this ammo for a truly mint Steyr Hahn.
    They load it fairly hot and sometimes, my experience, out of spec.
    If intending to shoot this arm, proceed with caution. 101
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's cool about this revolver is that it opens backwards, that is to say, to the right. Great for us lefties. Naturally, ammo supply is the main problem. I have heard of it shot with .32, but I wouldn't risk it, myself. St. Etienne is, of course, the name of the arsenal in which they were made. Interestingly, while they are called "Lebel" revolvers, Lebel himself had nothing to do with design or production, much the same thing that happened to the German "Schmeisser" SMG.

Iraqi: "Is it true that only 13% of American kids can find Iraq on a map?"
    American reporter: "Yes, but all 13% are Marines"

"I think life should be more like TV. All of life's problems ought to be solved within 30 minutes with simple homilies. All our desires should be instantly gratified. Women should always wear tight clothes, and men should carry powerful handguns. Of course, if life was really like that, what would we watch on TV?"

- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    101 Airborne: Acier = Steel. Mostly used on shotguns around the turn of the century to differentiate between solid steel and damascus barrels.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it DOES open the "wrong" way. That is because the pistol was designed for LEFT-HANDED use. It was the secondary weapon. The primary weapon, carried in the right hand was the SABER!!!
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty
  • Options
    jphjph Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 200.000 made from 1892 to 1924 by MAS (Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne.

jp