In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Leupold rings?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I need 30mm rings (preferably silver)for a Remington 700 LSS 7mm RUM using a Schmidt & Bender 3x12-50 scope. I found Leupold bases for Remington 700's (part # 50019) so I need 30 MM rings to match and the right hight to fit. The outside diameter of the objective is 56mm. What hight and what rings would work & are some much better than others? Thanks for any help.

Mad Dog

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What barrel diameter? I assume it is the sporter weight? My guess would be that "high" or "extra high" would clear the barrel. My Nightforce 56mm clears the PacNor barrel on my rifle that weighs 17lbs in the extra high Warne rings, with approx .064" clearance, so I KNOW (xtra high) will clear a sporter weight barrel.

I would recommend a weaver style base and rings like Warne Permanent for a heavy recoil rifle.

Ask Guns-and-Glass, he has a set in the mail to me right now, and has them in stock. They are MUCH stronger than the standard ring, and dovetail rings such as the leupold type, tend to wear out under heavy recoil. The weight of a scope that size, eventually loosens the dove-tail and your POI will shift. They are about $20 more, but worth it on the big boomers. If you decide to not go that route, you will probably still need extra high rings. HTH

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Since they are Leupold STD bases,
    then STD 30mm - High Rings

Gloss: part #49961
    Matte: part #49959
    Silver: part #52495

or STD 30mm - Super High Rings, if you intend to put on lens caps. This could be critical, not sure.

Matte: part #51033
    Silver: part #52496

The difference in height between the two is only 1/10 inch.

I personally prefer matte rings since they will match other rifles just fine. The Leupold silver rings match Leupold silver scopes, they usually do not match the colors found on stainless rifle very well.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my 50mm objective (1" tube), the highs will clear the sporter barrel, and if I use scope caps, they will ALMOST touch the barrel, I can barely slide a dollar between them.
    So, with yours being a 56, that'll make the diameter bigger (duh), but the 30mm main tube should hold it slightly higher also. So, I'd say the highs should work on the standard barrel, but if it is a heavy I'd definately order X-highs... (kinda like JustC said).

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally try to stay away from the 'standard' (Redfield) system when setting up higher recoiling rifles, especially if using: stronger built (heavier) optics, higher rings, etc.

Ultra light rifles, magnum calibers, produce more shearing, and torque forces on the mounting system, and the 'standard' adjustable style has more tendency to have the rear ring move upward due to the inverted cone screws.

That will affect POI, and also exposes the scope to movement even with a simple bump. Just had another rifle, this time a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY Mag, with a famous 56 mm scope have to have the mounting system replaced.
    Scope ring became loose, customer tightened screws, screws started comming loose again, customer tightened again.
    Next few shots showed a gap between the ring bottom, and base top.
    The ring 'ears' where the cone screw mates with was tearing out.

Use something more stable, you'll save the $$$ in ammo, reduce fustration, and have more confidence.

Happy Bullet Holes!