In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semi-auto shotgun

nadonnadon Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine said that he went coyote hunting with a semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun that was bottom fed eight round clip. Anyone know the manuf and number?

Comments

• Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, Nadon, It could be lots of things. Several bottom-fed shotguns, and most can have extended magazine tubes installed with little difficulty. I have an old S&W Eastfield pump gun that came factory-ready to hold one in the chamber and five (2-3/4") in the magazine. Extended magazine tubes are widely available to increase the capacity of automatics and pumps. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nadon;
    There are very few auto shotguns with a box magazine.
    One that come to mind is the Holmes AS-18. Outward appearence is very simular to the AR-15 rifle, however the shotgun is larger and heavier.
    Magazine capacities available were 8,10,15,and 20. You will notice the past tense references, they are no longer produced and were realitively few to begin with. A couple of others were the Cobra street sweeper and the Striker 12, These have drum magazines of 14 rounds and short 18" barrels, These have also gone the way of buffalo
    thanks to insanity of gun prohabition. And are banned as "assualt weapons", and deemed non-sporting arms and destrutive devices under
    current ATF regulations.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can add a extended magazine TUBE to many of the popular models of shotguns. I am not sure what the benefit of having that many for coyote hunting would be. After just a few shots they would likely be out of range anyway.
    I do not know the exact make/model...

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nadon, I just ran across this item at the GunBroker Auction: www.gunbroker.com/auction/viewitem.asp?Item=7650740

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nadon, I apologize. I sent the wrong lot info. It should have been:
    www.gunbroker.com/auction/viewitem.asp?Item=7644853

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOOOOPPPPPS, Timbroman's right. I forgot all about the Saiga's.I'll bet thats what it was. they are built on an AK type action. They seem very reliable and i'm sure someone can provide a 8 round mag for it. As memory serves some of the for came with 8 round mags. Where reduced to 5 after the "assault weapon???????????" ban. K-mags also supplies a 2 round to satisfy federal water fowl regs. Not my first choice for ducks and geese, but hey, who am I to judge?
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Python
    OOOOOOOPPPPPS, Timbroman's right. I forgot all about the Saiga's.I'll bet thats what it was. they are built on an AK type action. They seem very reliable and i'm sure someone can provide a 8 round mag for it. As memory serves some of the for came with 8 round mags. Where reduced to 5 after the "assault weapon???????????" ban. K-mags also supplies a 2 round to satisfy federal water fowl regs. Not my first choice for ducks and geese, but hey, who am I to judge?

why do the Saiga 410's only come with a 4 rd mag?
  • Options
    357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Python
    nadon;
    There are very few auto shotguns with a box magazine.
    One that come to mind is the Holmes AS-18. Outward appearence is very simular to the AR-15 rifle, however the shotgun is larger and heavier.
    Magazine capacities available were 8,10,15,and 20. You will notice the past tense references, they are no longer produced and were realitively few to begin with. A couple of others were the Cobra street sweeper and the Striker 12, These have drum magazines of 14 rounds and short 18" barrels, These have also gone the way of buffalo
    thanks to insanity of gun prohabition. And are banned as "assualt weapons", and deemed non-sporting arms and destrutive devices under
    current ATF regulations.

I think even I could hit a deer with less than 14 rounds lol. [:o)]
  • Options
    357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    You can add a extended magazine TUBE to many of the popular models of shotguns. I am not sure what the benefit of having that many for coyote hunting would be. After just a few shots they would likely be out of range anyway.
    I do not know the exact make/model...

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...

That's what I meant. [;)]