In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pros and cons on reticle type.?

BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am having trouble deciding between two Swarovski Reticles types. Does anyone have input they would care to share on the pros and cons between the 7a and the 4a reticles?

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Swarovski is a great scope and you won't do much better. Keep in mind that neither of those two reticle types are popular here in the States and you will be accused of being too "European". With that said it really depends on what you are planning on shooting and how good your eye sight is. Frankly the #4 simply has a "cross hair" area much too small for my poor eyes. I much prefer the larger area in the #7, which is pretty much a #8 reticle with the heavy verticle replaced with a thin verticle. The heavy verticle found on the #8 or "Z-PLEX" types are simply in the way and contribute nothing to your aiming.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the European three post reticle. I find it very fast for acquiring the target. It is also easier to see in low light then is the american plex type reticle. As far as eyesight is concerned, my eyes are over 60 years old and have no trouble seeing the three post reticle. Anyway, with a scope of that quality you can't go wrong, so pick the one that you like and go for it.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns&Glass...............?
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7a is more popular and seems more open when looking through it. I am not positive but I believe the thickness of the bars stays the same regardless of the magnification of the scope. If you have the ability to look through them I would just go with what you like. I have a #9 reticle on my S&B scope which is a love or hate reticle. I love it. So you may prefer one over the other or maybe you are just satisfied with some of the best optics available. Enjoy.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on your need.

4A hands down for big game.
    Great for low light, marginal eyesight, a reticle for "when we grow old" great in the woods, AND fast shooting.

Couple years ago, shot two doe in Anterless season, one right after the other(running together),... on the run.
    Never 'saw' the crosshair intersection. Just put the 'space' at the shoulder point while following thru on the shot. Two shots-two deer.
    Shot an eight pointer during buck season, that was quartering to my left, using a duplex reticle.
    Went back to the 4A.
    Recently sent a 2-8X Burris Signature back to have a 4A installed.

With a little practice,...it becomes a "Point & Shoot" technique.

7/8's better for varmit, and big game. Especially if many shots will be taken at 200+ yards.
    A more conventional reticle, and easier to make.
    Was at one time 'more European' because they hunt quite differently than we do, and they made better reticles, and scopes.

What model Swarovski are you looking at?

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    G&G - I am looking at the HABICHT PV 1.5-6X 42mm (30mm Tube) Matte #4A Reticle, or the HABICHT PV 1.5-6X 42mm (30mm Tube) Matte #7A Reticle.

Mark - quote:I much prefer the larger area in the #7, which is pretty much a #8 reticle with the heavy verticle replaced with a thin verticle. I think you have this backward, the 4A has the thin top verticle. The 7A looks more like a plex with squared edges rather than tapered ones where they meet the thin cross hair area. Both the 4A and 7A have a wide crosshair area as compared to the standard 4 or the plex.

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/english/produkt/index.asp?cat=Products&type=Rifle Scopes&model=10&do=Reticle

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gut optik.
    Great all around choice.
    4A still my choice. Can also do some ranging with it. But if you use the concept of MPBR you will hardly ever need to range.

Since you'll probably live with the choice for a very long time, and your already investigating choices, here's an idea to help with the reticle choice. A little trial & error can help you be happier with your choice, and feel like you spent the $$$ wiser.

Draw the 4A & 7 reticles on a piece of heavy card board. Can also use popsicle sticks, thin wood strips. Just make it stiff.
    You can even print them out, and enlarge them. That way they are too scale, and just transfer them, then cut out on a stiff material.

Use 1/4" for the heavy plex, 1/8" for the fine plex. Blacken them in.
    Cut out the reticles too the same scale, in the shape of a paint brush, so you now have a handle.
    Extend arm 1/2 your normal reach, and using a cars side window as a target.
    Experiment at different distances,...imagine yourself hunting.
    Create mental situations, and "shoot" comparing the reticles.
    Do it especially in low light.
    Do it with moving targets.
    If available, try it in a wooded area, shooting at a target in the woods.

Learning how to use a reticle, is no different than driving two different cars.

Happy Bullet Holes!