In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.410 bore shotshells

b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
edited June 2003 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know when the .410 bore shotshell was introduced, and by who

Comments

• Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B.goforth, I have a 2 inch brass U.S. Cartridge Co. shell marked 12/mm
    I also have Perer's shotshells marked 12/mm/.410 the US company went out of business in the late 1920's. They were a fairly big player up till that time and I have lots of WWI ammo that was govt.cantracted by them. They sold shotshells callled "AjaX"and "Defiance"among others that I don't recall. I'm at "work" so I don't have references but I'm pretty sure Winchester marketed a model 20 single shot 410 in the early 20's in a marksmanship program. The gun was fairly expensive for the time. I think the Winchester 42 was sold in 1933 and was maybe the first to use the 3 inch shell. Long live the .410!!
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .410 shell on the left is a Smith's Kynoch 'Gastight' reportedly from 1886.

tgcart5.jpg

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    thanks for the responses, just trying to get an idea of when and where the .410 appeared on the american scene. i know for a fact that iver johnson arms & cycle works did not chamber the champion single barrel for the .410 until after 1910, most likely 1915.
    b.goforth
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    STEVENS NEW MODEL POCKET SHOTGUN
    1876-1896 (3000 MADE)
    OFFERED IN .410 WITH 10", 12", 15", OR 18" BBL`s.
    called the "TAXIDERMIST MODEL"

some one must have made one even earlier, i am still looking. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    brayhavenbrayhaven Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, must have been a black powder gun but probably not damascus barreled. Learn something every day.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang!! country gunsmith; them is some fine looking shotshells you posted pictures of. I mean really first class. thanks, hickory