In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock .380

HizzonerHizzoner Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can someone here please tell me why Glock can't sell their .380 here?

Hizzoner

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    why are these not availiable on the US market? they make two of them the 25 and 28, why dont they import them?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps it can't meet the "Point" requirements of the 1968 Gun Control Act law?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a "point" requirement?

Hizzoner

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the website, it is made mostly for countries where civilians can't own military caliber handguns. Still, I can't imagine that it wouldn't have enough points, especially when compared, for example, with a sig 232.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine old Gaston passing up a easy buck ( $ ), any place, any where.

I'm sure if he could legally sell the G 25/ G 28, in the U S, he would.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The point requirement is that in order to qualify for import, the dimensions of the pistol have to add up to a certain number, the "points". For example, the PPK, when its length, height, and width were all added up, it lacked the points for import. Put a longer grip on it, and presto, enough points for import. I believe that this is why on the Makarov, it comes with two grips, one with a large thumb rest, and one that is flat. Thumbrest = wider grip = more points = importable.

Rufe is sure right about the money! This is a good question.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just went back to the website. The .380 has the identical dimensions as the 26 9mm. The difference is that it is straight blowback design. Thus, it can't be the points.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always it was as jgreen mentioned (size). Maybe it doesn't feel it can compete with smaller guns like the Kel-Tec or Beretta .32's... I dunno, I'm sure they'd try if they could.

As far as civilians owning guns that shoots miiltary caliber, I wonder what military shoots a .40 S&W or a .357 SIG, or my favorite - the 10mm...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    Just went back to the website. The .380 has the identical dimensions as the 26 9mm. The difference is that it is straight blowback design. Thus, it can't be the points.

There is more to the point system than dimensions. The Glock 26 has approx 13 more points than the .380. You get 1 point for each ounce the pistol weighs, (The Glock 26 is approx 1 oz heavier that the .380). You also get points for caliber (9mm = 10 points, .380 = 3 points). A locked breach will also give you 5 points.

I didn't take time to add up the points for both guns, but 75 points is needed for importation. The factoring criteria is found on ATF Form 4590.
  • Options
    billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why doent some company make a conversion kit for the Glock26 or 19 to use 380, they have carbine & 22 kits ????
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making a 9mm convert to 380 use has virtually no value to 99.9% of the users.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Points?

Assemble the gun at the factory in Smyrna, GA, and import points become moot.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net