In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do I have? Colt 1911

noassmannoassman Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt 1911, US Army, Serial# R02XXX, with a RMI stamp. I have tried to research it, but am unsure of what it is. I think it is a Remington manufactured in 1912. Am I right? Unfortunately, many years ago, someone satin, nickel coated the gun and replaced the trigger and rear sight. What is a gun like this worth? It just sits in a drawer and gathers dust. Thanks in advance for any information.
Danny

Comments

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know what kind of "1911" you have, but chances of it being a Remington are very slim.........The Prefix "R" was never used at anytime anywhere on the Model 1911 Army .45's to start a serial number for any of the manufacturers including Colt....... I think maybe what you have is a "parts gun" but I would have to see the gun or good pictures to be sure.........Post some pictures and I will try to identify it.....and there are a lot of other fine folks that can help too!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • Options
    kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with RancheroPaul, never seen or heard of a 'R' prefix on a military 1911. You probably got the idea its a mil gun because the right side of the slide says model 1911 u.s. army, right? There are a lot of these parts guns out there since people have been piecing them together for 80 years. I'm one of them. Get some good pics and make sure all the markings show. Check under the firing pin stop for any numbers there also. Theres a lot of knowledge packed into some of these forum members brains, It'll get figured out when you post some pics.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess that it would sell in the $200-300 range. Interesting, but not valuable.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you would have better luck researching your pistols history, at web-sites specifically concerned with 1911's and all there history/variations.

Here's (4) I found useful.

http://www.1911forum.com/

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911_main.htm

http://www.coolgunsite.com/mainpage.htm

http://usgi1911.tripod.com/
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me ask you some questions. Are you sure its not RMT in a diamond shaped mark? Under the left grip panel is there a squar block that says R.M.T. So. El Monte Ca. Is the frame a light weight aluminium?
    I can't remember the name but its something Machine Tool Company. Went out of business over 30 years ago.
    If in good conditionm its still worth $300.00. Be advised you should keep a new recoil spring in it as the frame was proun to crack in the area about 3/8" in front of the slide stop hole.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fergusonmorse392
    Let me ask you some questions. Are you sure its not RMT in a diamond shaped mark? Under the left grip panel is there a squar block that says R.M.T. So. El Monte Ca. Is the frame a light weight aluminium?
    I can't remember the name but its something Machine Tool Company. Went out of business over 30 years ago.
    If in good conditionm its still worth $300.00. Be advised you should keep a new recoil spring in it as the frame was proun to crack in the area about 3/8" in front of the slide stop hole.

"Ranger Machine Tools", after the Feds put Jack Karns ( A & R Sales ) out of business, Ranger bought all the assets, tooling etc.

They only stayed in business couple of years at the most, ( the cast alloy frames originally made by A & R, never had a good reputation for quality or durability ).

Believe they sold out to Fed Ord in the early 80's?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some dead giveaways to determine 1911 or 1911A1 status would be the following changes made in 1923. the rest of the gang can back me up if i drop the ball on any particualr item but, the way i remember the mod to be was, a 1911A1 will have: a shorter trigger to accomodate gloved fingers, wider and higher front sight blade and a wider rear sight notch, thinner hammer, plastic or wood grips w/o a diamond pattern, longer grip safety arm to eliminate web pinching, and parkerized parts.how'd i do? anyway, any gun in correct condition lacking civilian or import parts will be 350 to 400 all day. true military surplus framed guns will command premiums. hope i helped.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.