In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT 44 OR 45 BLACKPOWDER CYLINDER

GUNNER CHRISGUNNER CHRIS Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt blackpowder cylinder on a cva frame,but i do beleive the cylinder is of some worth,first it has a patent number on it of
COLTS PATENT NO.PAT SEPT 10TH 1850.It is a engraved cylinder and also states,ENGRAVED16 MAY 1843.There are alot of ships engraved on it
even though its in good shape the engraving looks a little worn,could anybody tell me the worth or the history of this cylinder.I wish i had the whole colt gun it looks like they just rigged it on a cva frame.THANK YOU.[:D]

LET MY BIG 50 DO THE TALKIN FOR ME!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually the inscription is ENGAGED 16 MAY 1843. Its the date of the Naval battle at Campeche on May 16, 1843, by the Texas Navy depicted in the engraving on the cylinder. Its most likely a reproduction cyliner, but you could still take it to a good antique gun dealer for evaluation. There were almost half a million pistols produced with the naval engraveing, including the 1851, 1860, and 1861 revolvers. Obviously you don't have an 1851 since you said .44 cal, unless its a repro made in .44. It might be worth checking out, but don't get your hopes up. My .36 cal 1851 repro is a perfect match for your description with the exception of the word "colt".

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JAMES,Thanks for the info at least i have the history behind it,where
    their alot of repros made with colts name on it[?]

• Options
    kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, thats why I said go get it checked. Copyright and trademark lawyers would frown upon someone using Colts good name on a repro. Hey, if the advice is free, and its an excuse to go to a gun shop what the heck? Right?

1851navy.jpg

The one on the right is an engraved, rifled, CVA, and the other is a plain, smooth bore, EuroArms.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JAMES,Thanks for all of your help on this i did have it checked out and they told me that it was a original cylinder,that really made my day[:D][:D]