In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt 1911

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
Edit: got answer

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ten years ago I still had my FFL 93-95, and had a parts .45 target auto set up on my table at a local Indianapolis show, an old gentleman said he was looking for a pistol like that and said he had something to trade. He opened a case to reveal a dark blued Colt 1911, with a two tone mag and instruction manual dated 1918. We swapped and this pistol is sitting in the bottom of my gun case forever, I dated it through the serial number to 1915 and colt said it was shipped to the US Army on the mexicam border. This part of the ol guys story checks out cause he said his Dad used it against Poncho Villas, forces in 1916. Now strange thing though three (3) small angle file notches are in the mag well bottom of the frame ^^ ^
    Old guy said his Dad killed three men and notched the pistol each time. This is the story I wonder about. Anybody know how true this could be? The pistol is all original 1911 Colt, could someone just keep it from Uncle Sam all these years? For that matter could it have been used in WW II? Doesnt look re-blued or arsenal refinished to me. All parts and proofs match, bbl marking is correct. Each time I take it to a show, very rare these days, a so called expert looks at it, says something like "Yea an old Colt 1911" Wanna sell it? and thats it. I keep hoping the Antiques Road Show will stop by, but other than that I often wonder what I have and what its worth? Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a value for a Colt 1911 Army issue, it is NIB with ammo. The ammo includes flare rounds, as the weapon was issed to my father in 1941 when he was an Army Air Corps pilot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has a colt 1911 in super 38 automatic it is silver with engraving on slide and frame with a swartz safety and has a ring on left side at bottom for the lanyard it has ivory grips. It looks to be made about 1931 serial number is 5 digit. can anyone help us with the value of this gun? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In the market for a .45. Thinking about a Colt 1911. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wanting to build a colt 1911 all original major components. I can deal with clone springs etc. My question is, how does one do this. Is there a websight that has all original colt parts that would make it convenient to buy a part or two every now and then until I wake up one day and have a fully asembled colt 1911 in front of me. Any info would be appreciated. Parts list etc.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a friend wants to sell a 1927 colt commercial 1911 in excellent cond. matching numbers, but we believe it to be a reblue. who ever blued it did an excellent job. everything is original except the backstrap which has been replaced with a flat backstrap. what is this gun worth? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    saw a new 1911 series 70 for 599.00. ? is ! serial # started with
    71B2xxx is this a new model that came out or is this a real series 70
    colt 1911--- new in box has skeleton trigger cammander hammer,hiene ajd.
    sights up swept beaver tail safety, ALL COLT,should i be there buying it right now? who has heard of this one
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a 1911 that has a Colt receiver , serial number 179xxx, and a Remington Rand slide. The firearm is in excellent condition and has 1911A1 stocks and a saftey that I cannot identify from anything in Clawson's book.The Colt receiver doen not have any of the required Colt VP marks or in inspectors marks.The son and wife of the deceased who owned the firearm say it was purchased from the government in 1946 and has been in the family since that time and they say that it is in the exact condition as when it was purchased.Clawson's book states that some 1911/1911A1's were rebuilt by Army maintainance depots and show not rebuild marks. What I am concerned about is why there are no proof marks or inspector stamps on the receiver.Does thia make sense to anyone? if this could possibly be an "original", what value should I put on it?Please send responses to Vdegrazia@home.com Regards: Vic DeGrazia
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a colt 1911, serial # 522,XXX. I believe it was made in early 1919. Can't find my Colt book. Should this be blue or park?
    thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of a 1911 style short barrel NCO Special? I'm told it's supposed to be just like the Officers special.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have colt 1911A1 SN C177150. SN is repeated under firing pin stop. Left side of trigger guard has triangular mark with what looks like the letters VP inside (parkerizing is so thick it is hard to decipher).Above the triangle is small mark that could be S, 9, 8, or 3. Right side of trigger guard has number 60. Left side of slide has usual Colt patent marks up to 1913. Right side of slide has COLT Automatic,Calibre .45,rampant colt. Top of frame has S stamped on it. Gun has wide hammer spur and short trigger. Sources indicate it was made 1934.I believe it is commercial gun converted to military and arsenal refinished. Frame has "GOVERNMENT MODEL" with SN underneath. Under ejection port are the words MARINA ARGENTINA in plain block letters, no seal or other marks,no import marks. I thought Colt Argentine Contract guns would have been produced well before 1934. What have I got, a shooter or a collectible. Any idea of value range? I forgot to mention it also has lanyard ring behind magazine opening.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just bought a colt 1911 45 (new)on left slide it is stamped NIGHT GOVERMENT on right is GOVERMENT MODEL, serial # NTG020 on colt frame with markings and colt barrel. ? IS, has anyone heard of this named colt 45?. All non glare black finish with 3 dot sights,pacmeyer grips. could not find it in blue book or GB
    thanks
    NOAH[?][?][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information on a Colt Model 1911 45 cal gun. On one side of the gun it says "Colt automatic calibre. 45, government model C220732". There is also a horse engraved after the writing.
    On the other side it says "PATENTED Apr 20, 1897. Sept. 9, 1902.
    Dec. 19, 1905. Feb. 14, 1911. Aug. 19, 1913." There is the horse picture engraved after that. On the same side it says "Colt's PT.F.A Mfg. Co., Hartford, CT. USA. Can anyone tell me the approximate date this was made and the value? It looks like this gun was chrome plated, possibly later? I was in the Korean War in 1952 and we all carried 45's as a side arm. Only chrome 45s I saw were carried by the Honor Guard. I am wondering if this was one of those. Thanks for any information. I have pictures, but haven't mastered how to put pictures on here yet. Can anyone help with that too? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing a very expensive book on U.S. government model semi auto pistols a little while back. (several hundred dollars) Anyone have an idea which one I am thinking of. It may have been Meadow's book?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a old US marked 1918 built colt and was wondering about the barrel. All parts look to be original but how im i to be sure about the barrel ? What should i look for in markings ? The old gun is still good and tight and dont rattle like a lot of old 45s when you shake them. I wont ask if i got a good deal on the price because i know i got a very good deal[:0],but he got the gun for a little of nothing way back when you could buy a 1911 for a few bucks.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have an old 1911 i dont see any serial numbers on it the only thing i see is a mark on the front side of the trigger guard can someone please help with a little info ibys9l.jpgThis the symbol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a mismatched Colt 1911A1 Made in March 1945. Finish is about gone so was thinking of haveing it reparkerized. Can anyone help me on who does this service as close to original shade of gray as possible, also what parts are parkerized? Looks like most pins are blue, also hammer strut. But what about the trigger bow,disconnecter, and sear. Were the safety lever and hold open the same as frame and slide? Thanks for any help. If Im going to do it want to do it correct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I heard the 80 series is not that good. Is that true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a old 1911 and took it apart to clean and try to replace the lanyard ring. It took a while to find one and now I have put the gun back together but the hammer will not stay back and the trigger does not feel right. I did not take them out. I took the slide,barrel,spring and the mainspring housing out. But now when I put it back it does not seem to work right. Can any of you colt experts help?
    THANKS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What model of Colt 1911 has a DE serial number prefix?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows for all the information. I called Colt and my gun was manufactured in 2002. So I guess someone put two guns together and made two "custom" guns. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently came into possession of a Colt semi auto that has a commander frame with an officer's model barrel and slide. It came in a custom shop box.It seem's to be unfired. I can't find any information on this anywhere. Can anyone help me? Thank's. Oilslick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield marked 1911 dated 1918/19 with a serial number preceded with the typical NO xxxx. Ser range is 470xxx
    However it not being commercial (lacking a C before the number) I thought all would have been military. This gun does not have United States Property markings on it.
    My question is
    Was it military or was it commercial.
    Thanks in advance for any help
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most difficult part to find new will be the frame. I've seen the slides for sale by companies like CDNN Investments and Brownells from time to time, and all of the other factory original parts are available from Brownells, The Numrich Gun Parts Corp., and other sources; but the frame will be hard to get brand new. You might find a used-like-new at a gunshow. This is a great project, and the way you propose to do it will give you time to read up on how to do it. Suggest "The Colt .45 Automatic - A Shop Manual" from Brownells at $24.95, Item #924-200-045.
  • Options
    kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hooray! Another one has emerged!

WARNING: The joy and self satisfaction of building up your own 1911 will lead to the urge...no, the need to build more. To learn all the fine details of a good trigger job. To see exactly how everything works and then not be afraid to completely tear down a weapon at the range and rebuild it again with a different spring or sear to achieve a tiny bit of performance gain. First you'll build a Govt length gun, Then you'll think how nice it would be to have an Officers model, next thing you'll have a dozen slides, several tackle boxes full of small parts, and spend your days in a never ending search for good frames. I know, thats my life in the lines above. I love it and wouldn't change a thing. If you're a true novice be careful and go slow, and you might not want to start out with high priced colt components. www.gunsnstuff.net has frame and slide kits at around $169. You can easily run over the cost of buying a whole gun doing this, but the bond you'll feel with the weapon is incredible, and very satisfying. If you ever need help make sure "1911" is in the title of your post and I'll be there.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have put together several 1911 pistols. If you want to build a 1911 with all origonal new Colt parts it will be hard. It is hard to find a lot of the new Colt parts. The factory does not usually have all the parts available. The cost would also exceed the cost of just buying a new Colt. If you will use non-Colt parts, then it is easy. I usually build mine from used parts. I have found a lot of stuff a larger gunshows. I have purchased new and used frames. I have bought new frames thru dealers. I have seen Colt sell new frames on several occasions. I have build 1911"s on Essex, Para-Ordinance, and Enterprise frames.
  • Options
    The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a 1911 using Caspian parts, frame and slide. I feel they are the best available, IMHO. John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im just curious why the draw to want to put together an all colt gun? having an all colt gun is a red flag in collecting, because during the war most guns were assembled from parts thru numerous contractors. now are we talking the real 1911 or the A1? and even if it is the A1, most guns were built with numerous other contractors parts! personally, having a parts gun would make me feel like i had more of a collectors piece; because, it would represent the genious of the design...that is, being able to be made functional with 5 or 10 different companies parts, miles apart, with thousands of hands involved making it, yet still fitting like a glove in the filed. follow my logic?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bobski,I dont know much about colts as you can plainly see by my request. I did not know that they were made up of all different parts. I just want to have the "real deal". If you could explain a little more it would be of great interest and help. Also I dont know the difference between the colt A1,A1-80,70,80 etc. If anyone knows that would be great info so I could start my research and start Buying parts.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, first off, did you want to build a 1911 or a A1? i'll go from there. also too, pop down and read the thread going on 1911's just a few lines up and down on the expert room. read up on the question the guy asked about if his gun was a real 1911 or a parts gun. ok? then i'll get back to you! i'll be glad to explain!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I wished I would have read the 1911 info before I asked my question. From what I understand all 1911's are mismatched and were converted to A1 (which I dont Know about). I have fired and held a few 1911's and really like them. Dont Know about the others. One guy said watch out for parts that are not GI or government or something like that. If thats the case then I guess I would also like to know where you would get those parts. I want my gun to be the way it should be. Im starting to wrap my head around the concept so please bear with me.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, im glad i can get you off to the right start. first, most gun collectors go for 'all colt status' for an array of reasons, which they are entitled to do as all good american should. i wont go into that this round! the thing that perked me up with your request was you seemed dead set on having to have an 'all colt' made gun. so i figured you were a colt collector or a colt fan of sorts. great. so thats why the 1911 or A1 queastion i poised. now that we see that youre sorta new at this, you need to know some important facts about the 1911 and 1911A1. colt may have had the first pat on the gun, but that doesnt mean other mfg'ers didnt exist. see, to keep it simple, colt could not make the full demand placed on it to produce enough guns for two wars, so the govt contracted other companies to build guns on the colt pat. i/e: some of the frames were : remington rand, singer, union switch and signal, ithaca, etc... then, some mfg'ers made barrels, like high standard, colt, and a hoard more. supply speed to the war reserve shelves was the key. so, building the guns at a factory just slowed things down. most guns were built in military armories from whatever next part came off the shelf. and whatever guns WERE built at factories were built from parts delivered to the factory from the joint contractors. meaning, colt could be building guns with remington slides and ithaca could be building guns with union switch slides and with high standard bbls from conn delievered to them! thyed be shipped out already mixed. the govt didnt care. as long as they were built to what is now termed MILSPEC.(military specifications.) and say, an armorer would get in a gun from the front with a blown bbl and slide. so, he'd strip it down, grab a new bbl and new slide say...from ithaca and hi standard and put it on a colt frame. then he'd ship it back to the war or the shelf for issue. thats why its a red flag to collectors when someone tries to pass off a 'all colt' or a 'all ithaca' gun. it never happened. now...'all colt 1911's' are possible because they were the originals made for ww1 and in the factory. we would be talking the 'all blued parts' type colt 1911. and that was what i was poised to aid you in. see, those guns had diamond pattern wood grips, wide hammers, short grip safeties, thin sights, long triggers, and all colt markings. with that in mind, that would be a rare find too, because in 1923, all 1911's in military inventory were upgraded to A1 status. so, today you find lots of 1911A1's with blued parts, parkerized parts, ithaca, colt, & remington parts all flopped together. some have found it a challenge to unscramble all the parts and build guns unique by having all of one mfg'ers parts all on one gun. cant be done! simply because not all parts mfg'ers MADE FRAMES! and not all mfg'ers made slides! so, the playing field is very limited. and even to this day, 1911A1's are being put together with old military parts. even some companies make thier own parts and frames now. great! but where their once was only the chance of having different military parts mixed into 1911A1's, now you have old guns with new parts from new mfg'ers, and to make things even worse....IMPORTED parts too! so....to answer your question, to build a 1911 or 1911A1, you need to choose one. then, ask yourself if you want an ALL MILITARY PARTS GUN, or, a GREAT SHOOTER. if all you want is a great shooting gun, anything goes. most will agree the best parts ever made will be military surplus. matter of fact, my match championship gun is none other than a civilian essex frame with a remington rand slide and military surplus parts. the bbl is new colt NATIONAL MATCH w/ a NM bushing. so, as you can see, the guns a hodgepodge, but it can shoot same hole 25 yards! its a great gun for having 20,000 rounds in it! let us know the direction you want to go, and we will start you on your quest! im sure others may add or correct me if need be, but for the most part, i think you catch my drift!

Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whats the better gun? A1 or standard model. Is the A1 o.k.?

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911-1911a1diff.gif

The 1911A1 has these changes over the 1911. The only difference is user friendliness. Most 1911 guns now are of the A1 standard or above. The pic is from the M1911.org website.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Well, I pulled my post early on this one, but I've got to say it again, but differently...

I'd buy an assembled gun, and learn how to take it apart and re-assemble it.
    Then when you see different parts kicking around at gunshows and such, you will recognize them and get them for cheap.

Of course, I'm still of the opinion one could spend the $610 delivered for a new 01091 Gov't Stainless. Mine has been perfect (after some correction I asked for before even shooting it). So in a sense it has been 100% from shot one.

I've gotten as far as taking the guts out of the slide. I'll wait a little longer, practicing on a gun out of warranty before I go further.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty gun savy and ready for any gun assembly. It's a gift. You can give me any gun and I can fully disassemble it in no time and put it back together. Im ready for the 1911, have been my whole life.Ive got to go with my gut and just flow with it. It's all easy if you have a knack for it. My problem is I just didn't Know where to start. I will keep you posted regarding my progress or questions.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the A1 is the improved gun of the two. build an A1.

Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.