In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with next years project

old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
Asked this in the GD fourm not many hits so thought I would let it out here. Picked up a Win 94 trapper in 357 and had some handloads on the shelf for the 357 pistol. ran them through ok along with some 38 seemed to like the 357 case better or may be it was the jacket bullets in 357 the 38 had lead. I would like to run up the load a little if any one has any experience with one of these I would greatly appreciate it. The main use will be teaching grandkids shooting and a first deer rifle. Thanks and God bless

psalms 16

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the older Lyman Reloading Handbook ( 47th ), that I have. There is a whole section devoted to .357 magnum rifle loads.

If your not able to get this information any other way, these handbooks are usually available used on www.bookfinder.com at reasonable prices.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I have loaded for both the 357 and 44 mags for rifles and have had very good luck. I do not have the load data handy, but one thing I did do and highly recommend is to PUT RED NAIL POLISH ON THE PRIMER. I loaded them a littler hotter than I would for a handgun and did not want to shoot them in the handgun accidently. If I saw the 'red' I knew not to use them in the handgun. Just a suggestion.[:)]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    YZriderYZrider Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy,have an marlin 1894c & winchester 94 legacy in .357mag,a couple of loads I have had very good service with are 125gr JSP w/19.5grs H110& small Rifle primer,another good texas deer killer is 158gr.JSP & 17.5grs.H110w/small Rifle primer. I use the rifle primers in these as the cup metal is a bit thicker.Inside of 100yds. the 158gr load has proven VERY effective on our Texas whitetails & is a great load for the feral hogs here.Hollow points seem to "blow-up" more @ rifle velocities & have not given as good of accuarcy or penetration.My 2 cents,Happy new year,Rick.

"LONG LIVE THE BONNIE BLUE FLAG THAT BEARS THE SINGLE STAR" "The UN-reconstructded south"