In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther PPK Jams

bradweatherbradweather Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a West German Walther PPK 7.65 manufactured in 1966. It is of great sentimental value to me and I don't want to modify it in any way, but I am having a jamming issue and want some advice.

It jams about once every 15-20 rounds, regardless of bullet type. Balls or HP, doesn't matter. It acts like it wants to feed two rounds at once. I think it may be due to the fact that the magazine puts deep scratches in the casings as they are inserted, and the scratches on the top bullet are "locking" on the scratches on the one underneath it.

Does this make any sense at all?

Sometimes the jam is so bad I have to take the gun down just to clear it.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's difficult to diagnose gun functioning problems on a forum.

However, the first place to suspect a problem such as you described is the magazine. Do you have the same problem when using a different magazine? Your gun came from the factory with 2 different magazines; one has a flat bottom, & the other has a plastic finger extension. Are you using one of these, or do you have an aftermarket magazine?

Neal
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    With the double feeding, I would jump on a new mag with both feet. Try that FIRST. Let us know how it pans out.
    Ensure you have a 7.65 mag and not a 9mm Kurtz.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a new mag. I would hope this is not a case of limp wristing. There's a possibility that where the mag sits is not quite at the exact right height in the frame, so a gunsmith might need to make a small adjustment.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    bradweatherbradweather Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys

When I inherited the gun I only got one of the magazines, but soon I am going to get a second one from Walther. If this solves the problem then I will order yet another mag and store the first one.

Once again, Thanks
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    The Guys are right...It has to be the magazine...when you get the new mag, besure to not leave it loaded to capacity for months on end...that tends to expand the Ears on the mag...and the rest you know...
    Have a Happy New Year

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    geneinncgeneinnc Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Mag springs are a bit cheaper. These guns need a fairly intense break in also. Winchesters ball ammo seems to be the hottest. A simple polish of the feed ramp does wonders. I did that & mine is dead on with Federal Personal Defense Ammo. Unreal groups from that little gun. (If you have a 32 caliber, breakin is even more critical.[^]
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By now your gun should be broke in, i would first try tuning in your mag lips a lil, the mags may have been kept loaded for a long period and the lips stretched a bit, or like everyone has said , try a new mag.