In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

armor piercing ammo

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I suspect I may be exhuming an often-rehashed topic, so if that's the case, please feel free to say so. [B)]

What confuses me is the exact definition of "armor piercing" as outlined here:
http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/Federallawsummary.asp#ammunitionregulation

As opposed to the description of the "steel core" ammo here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=112088624

The auction item is described as "armor piercing". But the definitions on the web page above don't seem to clearly define steel core ammo as necessarily armor-piercing.

Quotes:
"designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor"
"any projectile or projectile core that may be used in a handgun and that is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium"
"defined as a full jacketed projectile 'larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.'"

My questions are these:

Is a rifle definable as a handgun? Surely they also mean to include rifles in the definition? Perhaps the writer of that page omitted a bit of crucial language?

Is the steel core in the Chinese ammo that's on offer "designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor"? Has a steel core no other function?

And, if the ammo on offer IS firmly definable as "armor piercing" under the Federal statutes, then isn't its sale via GunBroker.com a violation of the law and of the TOS?

Am I missing something here?

I wouldn't mind picking up at least a few rounds of genuine Chinese ammo to go with my Norinco SKS; not so much for target use as for an appropriate accompaniment to the rifle. The items in question come in original wrapping and I think would be "cool to just have."

But I'm leery of the offer. I'm in no hurry to piss off the Authorities, however I may disagree with laws that appear to contradict the clear language of the Second Amendment.

Advice and information would be welcomed.
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What are the laws pertaining to armor piercing steel core AP ammo?

I want to buy a small amount for my AK-47.
    I want to have my 2-10 round mags loaded with them for the unexpected.
    I have my 30 round mags loaded with Hollow Points.
    The 10 round mags will be kept in my Tactical Vest and not in the gun unless needed.

I have no intention of using these against Bullet Proof Vests.

hsas157x100.gif
    sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Since someone made an AK pistol the ammo:
    may be possessed

shall not be inported or sold commercially.

That is the key. If it can be fired in a pistol or revolver. Rifle only AP is not against Federal law. Some states have their own laws against it.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During the 80's there was a great deal of this 7.62 x 39 armor piercing ammo imported into the U.S. Norinco was here by the pallette full. It was "AP" and a lot of it is still being held in private ownership. I have been told the Feds require that if you sell some of it, you are supposed to keep a log of who, where, etc. It might be interesting to see someone familiar with this Federal Regulation to discuss it and explain what is required.

You see this being sold on GB and AA quite often, but at fairly high prices.

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have seen it from .50 cents a round to over $2.00 a round.
    I would like to have about 50 rounds on hand.
    I think I will buy some. I live in a Free State(FL).

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green cartons of 20 rounds each branded Norinco are AP stuff. There is also another carton they used that seems like it was sort of yellowish beige with red lettering......not sure about that style or my memory of it. Shot a lot of the green carton stuff and it left gaping holes in the boulders we shot with it, or anything else it hit......also left lots of the steel cores lying around where we shot at one time.

Used to buy it for $1.25 or so a box of 20 it seems.......wish I could find some for that now.

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeeze, to think of the number of paper holes I made with the stuff when I was able to buy it by the case! I picked up my SKS and two cases of the green box Norinco stuff back in the 80s for like $120 - $150 as I recall. Was at a show and the seller had three tables of the rifles and several pallets of ammo. I received a disount because I was a "dealer" - well, I had a badge, anyway. Guess I should have shot something more substantial with the ammo before I finished it off, huh?
  • Options
    billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rugerniner heres something for you http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/bullets/ keep a few of these for Osama if you think he's in the lawn care buisness in Florida
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger ,it depends on what state you live in
    i can look it up in the newest atf book
    ill a.p. is a no no ,as well as some others

yep its me ,same one for 4 years now
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    and I'm one of the few who sell it for 50 cents per plus shipping.

RR
  • Options
    hughes1hughes1 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a magnet with you to a gun show and "test" the surplus ammo for yourself. If the bullet sticks to the magnet it is either steel core (AP),or steel jacketed. Buy a small quantaty and dissasemble a round at home to see it is steel core (AP) or not. I have come across many surplus bargains this way and avoided shooting any nasty steel jacketed ammo through my weapons.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great googly goo, I just gave a friend half a case of that green box stuff that's been sitting around, (he just bought an SKS) Checked what I have left and sho' nuff, the magnet sticks. I've shot a zillion rounds and never knew it. Hmmmmmm, I wonder how to get it back?

I'm always learning sumpin' here.

Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a case of this chi-com AP ammo only 'days' before klinton banned it----it is on stripper clips in packs of 20 and is corrosive. willing to swap if you still havent got all you need. email me at dadofdrummer@wmconnect.com

"I will NOT attempt to re-arrange the furniture on the deck of the Titanic."