In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for information on "sensitive primers"

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2005 in Ask the Experts
(moved from "Gun Rights" on suggestion of reader)

I've read about BATF using sensitive primers to show some semi-autos will fire "full auto" and would like to reply to a guy on another forum.

IIRC there were two types -- a very sensitive primer that would fire from shock when the bolt went home and a "protruding" primer that would get hit by the bolt face and fire.

Either case (aren't they what the military calls "slam fires"?) would cause the firearm to fire without trigger being pulled, thus "full auto"?

Anybody else remember anything about this?

Wild Turkey"if your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"

Comments

• Options
    CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WILD TURKEY,

I ONCE LOADED SOME .223 AMMO WITH FEDERAL PRIMERS THAT WERE MARKED "SMALL RIFLE/HIGH VELOCITY PISTOL". THESE ROUNDS WOULD OCCASIONALLY "DOUBLE" AND SOMETIMES "TRIPLE" IN A COLT H-BAR. CAME TO FIND OUT IT WAS THE FLOATING FIRING PIN ON THE COLT STRIKING THE TOO-SOFT PRIMER WHEN THE BOLT CLOSED. ONLY HAPPENED WITH THOSE PRIMERS, THOUGH.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Turkey - Your looking for plain old pistol primers.
    Be careful you could be biting off more than you can chew, in 10 years of ClubFed.
    Walte
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    There are various ways to make a semi auto go "full auto". The thing is that such modification make the gun very unsafe for the user. I had a Jennings 22 that would "full auto" on me on occassion right before it quit firing altogether. It was disassembled and dumped in the river. I don't need those kind of supprises.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    BATFE agents and firearms techs have several methods to make almost any gun fire "full auto" when they want to.
    One method is to shave metal from the sear so that it doesn't contact the stop.
    In the Waco hearings, one "expert" testified that he was able to make a certain model of firearm fire "full auto" by simply adding plenty of oil to the action.
    If primers were truly hard or soft; where are all the millions of injuries caused by a gun that went off all by itself?
    Protruding primers don't have to be "soft" to go off when the bolt is slammed home.

The American Rifleman had an article about the misconception of soft primers awhile back; lemme see if I can find it.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    leftytwogunsleftytwoguns Member Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A PPK I once owned would pop off three round bursts if I used too much Tetra gun lube on the seer. Once cleaned, it would do its job as designed and caused no damage to the action. Not real helpful info, but neither is having an automatic pistol...for the legal reasons of course. I think they would be a gas to have legally. Take care.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that one comapny - CCI maybe - makes a primer especially for semi auto military rifles to prevent slam fire. I have an FN 49 & MAS 49/56 & reload for each, not had a problem using regular Winchester LR.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    I still had this in my files, see if this will help
    primers.jpg