In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

target rifles under 400

GUNKEEPERGUNKEEPER Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
What is the best target rifle (caliber, make, scope) for under $400.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That particular rifle is made out of unobtaninum.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scope alone will cost at least 500 (1,000 isn't unreasonable for quality glass), a decent set of mounts and rings start at 100. The reloading equipment (there arn't many "target" shooters that use factory ammo) will set you back another 750. Having a decent barrel screwed onto your receiver, figure 500 right there, plus another 500 for a good stock. Add in another 500 for misc. supplies etc and...what was your budget again?

Now if you mean who makes a decent plinking rifle for under $400? than I'd suggest a bolt action CZ Rem Sav or Win (pick one) chambered for the 223 cartridge. Expect to spend another $250 for a scope & mounts.

Now if your budget is 400 complete & firm, than you had better start looking at the bolt action 22LR's.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need alot more info - rimfire or centerfire, what is your expectation of accuracy and are you going to use a scope, not optic sights? What range - 100 yds or 600 yds?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well how about a Ruger 10-22 for about $200 and then you still have $200 for a decent scope like a Leupold 2-7x33 VXI. With some looking around you should be able to find these for less money and have some cash left over for a brick of ammo. I would hope that this setup would give you something like 1" goups at like 50yds. I know that as "target" rifles go this isn't much to talk about, but it fits your budget. If you are willing to go with a used rig then haunt the action site. Often used rifles are sold with the scope included for that kind of money. Good luck.
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    h&r ultra varmint in .223=$200-$250
    bushnell trophy 4x12 = $180

best recomendation I can give
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was over at a friends house and his mother was going to run him out of the house if he did not get rid of the rifle he had in his room. I took a look at it and it was a Remington M1917 3006 sporter with a Model 40 Remingtom barrel. The rear sight ears and stripper area had been milled out had a Chief Scope mounted on it and was sitting in a beautiful walnut stock. If I found another beauty like this one for two fifty I'd snap it up in a heart beat and there are a lot of these sporters out there like this one to be had.

Emmett
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ern98
    Well how about a Ruger 10-22 for about $200 and then you still have $200 for a decent scope like a Leupold 2-7x33 VXI. With some looking around you should be able to find these for less money and have some cash left over for a brick of ammo. I would hope that this setup would give you something like 1" goups at like 50yds. I know that as "target" rifles go this isn't much to talk about, but it fits your budget. If you are willing to go with a used rig then haunt the action site. Often used rifles are sold with the scope included for that kind of money. Good luck.

Ruger 10/22 would be a great idea for a cheap target setup.[;)]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunkeeper,

Nothing beats a 22 long rifle for having fun and learning to shoot. Or for that matter keeping your skills up even if you are experienced. Learn to shot open sights first then consider a scope. For fun and plinking any 22 will work, Ruger, remington, marlin, single shot, pump, semi-auto, lever. it doesn't matter.

My opinion is stay away from the Henry 22's, I bought my kid one and have had nothing but trouble with it.

If you want to shoot out a ways look for a good used 223. You can generally find a Savage model reasonable and savage makes a good barrel. If you want you can sand out the barrel channel of the stock to make sure it doesn't touch the barrel, drop in an after market trigger add a low end scope ($100-$150 not $30) and have a ball of fun all for under $400. I sugest the 223 over say the 222 or others because ammo is cheaper.

Of course if you want to compete get a second job and save up. In the mean time get a 22LR and hone your skills.

Good luck..........Scout
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage has some package deals in your price range, real good shooters out of the box too.
  • Options
    tg1061tg1061 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definately a 10/22...best target gun for the money...look at all the accessories that are out there for it....custom triggers, etc...if you afford a bit more, get the stainless model..you'll not have to worry as much 'bout rusting problems.
    Never yet had trouble shooting any 22lr ammo thru any that I've owned.....Ruger got it goin' on!!!!!