In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt 1911 expert needed

cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I found a commercial slide with the last patent date of Feb 14 1911. What serial #s are correct for this slide. thanx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello serial C1-C2000 +or- if colt horse is surounded by circle C1400-C7800 if just the colt horse has no circle. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though I will answer this question, I do not claim to be a "Colt 1911 Expert."

First, you have confused commercial and military nomenclature. "1911" is a military designation. The commercial pistols are called "Government Model." The unfortunately common practice of referring to commercial models with military designations makes searching for true military models on the auction sites very difficult.

Since you mention having a "commercial" slide, I will assume you have a slide marked "Government Model," and not "Model of 1911...."

According to Charles W. Clawson, THE GOD of Colt Model O pistols, the February 14, 1911 patent date was used in the serial range C1 to roughly C7800 with Roman-style lettering. The August 19, 1913 patent date, also with Roman-style lettering, was used in the serial number range from about C6800 to C101000. That means there was some overlap due to out-of-sequence serial numbering practices.

What do you plan to do with your slide?
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a govt model frame, serial #c34,7xx so the slide wont work for me so Ill have to sell the slide. thanx for your info and help to both you guys.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the correct slide for your frame should have a PATENTED date of AUG 19 1913 with the colt pony on the very rear of left side of slide . You will also need correct barrel, hammer, safety, slide stop, ETC.