In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Rolling block no 3 or 4?

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a takedown RRB in .32 RF, octagon bbl. How do you tell the difference between a 3 and a 4?

Comments

• Options
    bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
    edited November -1
    I think, but could be wrong, the four was a takedown, while the 3 was not. That and the fact that the 3's are worth about 3x more than the 4's.
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the two reference books on Remington Rolling Blocks that I have, they make no mention of a Model 3.

The Remington-Hepburn Model 3 is a side lever falling block action rifle.

The Model 4 was the smallest of the rolling block actions made for rimfire cartridges (.22, .25 Stevens, and .32). There are 3 types of the Model 4: the somewhat rare solid frame, the early lever take-down, and the later and more numerous screw take-down (Model 4 is stamped on the left side of the receiver on the srew take-downs, I'm uncertain on the others).

I suspect you may have a Model 4 Rolling Block.

I forgot to add the Model 2 Rolling Block was also made in .32 rimfire. It can be easily identified. The side profile of the receiver is not "square", but angles upward and away from the trigger guard.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Big Country: Thanks, as for value, the exception is the one in my posession. Not a buggered screw, nice walnut, crisp octagonal barrel, shiny but worn bore, blue to plum finish on barrel oh yeah, my Dad bought it for me while scrounging for antiques (his part time business) and surprised me with it about 20 years before he died. I was quite taken by it at the time but was out of .32 RF ammo so I never shot it. Knowing him I'm sure he bought it right. I do wish I had stocked up on those Canuck .32's, going for $1 apiece now.

Double ought: Thank you, too. The No. 6 looks a little smaller. I have 3 rolling blocks but can't keep the models straight. I asked because I am thinking of converting it to CF and didn't want to ruin the original breechblock. I have found a source for No. 3 breechblocks but No. 4's are sold out.