In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which AK and what caliber is preferred

cropduster21cropduster21 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
After many, many years of passing on buying one of the AK47 style rifles, I've just about talked myself into buying one. Last gunshow I inquired about this unusal looking AK style gun with a wire like stock that folded underneath the rifle and when extended it fit UNDER the arm. :The dealer said this was the last of these.. that I should buy one.it had this and that and cost about $430.. can't remember the caliber, but now I'm thinking I might have missed a deal. Anyone familar with this type AK?

I would like to know what is the best caliber now for inexpensive shooting and plinking. Seems like there are at least 3 or more calibers. I was thinking 7.62X39, but that ammo seems to be drying up unless you buy Wolf brand and it doesnt go bang every time I pull the trigger.

Comments

• Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally have never had a problem with Wolf firing in my AK. And the AK is designed for such ammo as Wolf. I have heard that 7.62x39 should be coming available later this spring, so it wouldn't hurt to get your AK in that. As far as the price of the underfolder AK, from what I saw over on the auction side of Gunbroker thats a decent price. Check out the auctions for a good idea on what they will run. Oh and welcome to the forums, post here for advice, post in general discussion for insanity.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf in a AK will always shoot,..once you get a AK you will learn this for yourself

ive got a stack of AK's in diffrent calibers,..and i love all of them

PSL(aka Romak III,..Dragunov)7.62x54R = this was my first AK type,..and it is a AK,...just a really big a$$ed one,..it can shoot further,..but im zeroed for 600m or less to ruin someones day.

GP-WASR-10 = 7.62x39,..cheap and ugly when i bought it,..it has never failed me,..but it is prettier now that i re finished the wood

Arsenal SA-M5s(no-ban,. w/rail)= 5.56x45,..very accurate,.this is the rifle i use to p!$$-off the snobby ar owners that say AK are inaccurate

AKS-74 =5.45x39,..i built this one my self from a bulgarian parts kit,..shoots great and cant beat that 74 style brake for rapid follow up shots. and the left side folding stock is super.

shown here in the same order:
    allinthefamily.jpg

the also make a Vepr in .308 and a,..and a big Yugo in 8mm,..they even have them in .22

i just dont care for the Vepr's looks,..but it is a good rifle

any caliber would be good for blasting at the range,..and once you get one in any caliber,.. you will want another in a diffrent caliber.

the current ammo shortage will not last forever,.. within a month i should have 2K of 7.62x39 in my hands with 1K each of 5.56 and 5.45 to follow a few weeks afterwards

just look around at any gun store and find one you like.