In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this a Problem or Not?

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a 300 H & H. Looking at the 2005 Sierra reloading manual, it gives a C.O.A.l of 3.655", but the longest the magazine will allow me is 3.150". How big of a problem is this? On the good side, this gun is almost sexual to shoot. I mean when I pull the trigger on this gun and feel the kick and hear the power, it is the most awesome gun I've ever shot. With the handloads I did load up at the above length, I kept a good 3 1/2" group at 75 yards with the plain jane factory open sights. What do I do about the length when I go to a heavier bullet, like a 200 or 250 grainer?

Comments

• Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would seem your magazine is a half inch too short. What type of gun is this?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There some kind of disconnect here? The interior dimension of the mag would be to short for the 30-06, let alone the 300 H & H. As the previous poster noted, there is something rotten in Denmark. Before I did anything else with the rifle, I would contact the individual the rifle was purchased from and get this straightened out. At the very least, the cartridge the rifle is supposedly chambered has been marked in error.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are both correct. I should have written 3.615", not 3.150", so it's about .040" short, not .500" short. Sorry about that. The gun is a Winchester 70, made in 1991. Supposidly, the only year that that particular rifle was offered in that caliber.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking maybe someone made this into a half-azzed single shot?

Oops hadjii did not see that.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler shows the SAAMI Max at 3.600
    Speer shows the SAMMI Max at 3.600
    I'd be contacting Sierra on Monday and asking why they specified a OAL that exceeds SAMMI specifactions.

quote:Originally posted by hadjii
    The gun is a Winchester 70, made in 1991. Supposidly, the only year that that particular rifle was offered in that caliber.

Considering I have friends that have (origional) pre-war Mod 70's in 300 and 375H&H, I wonder where you got that referance?? Or is that referencing only the PF models?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner, I was told by the person that I bought it from that 1991 was the last year that the Winchester XTR was made, and that in 1991 was the only year the 300 H & H was offered in the XTR. I'm only repeating what I was told. I personally don't know it for fact.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, so the referance is ONLY to the XTR series.
    As I'm not a Mod-70 watcher/owner I was just curious.

BTW, I'd still suggest that you contact Sierra on Monday.