In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lathe Question ???

abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
O.K. , we ended up with a rel nice older 'craftsman' metal lathe yesterday , where can we get : parts , equiptment , tooloings , supplies ect.???
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    abcguns2,

try www.blueridgemachinery.com/Atlas_Accessory.htm
  • Options
    bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen alot of parts for these on Ebay. It seems alot of lathes and various machining equipment is parted out and sold this way. Just be sure to check their sell rating and ask any questions before hand. Good Luck
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello MSC is a supply house with lots of tooling .
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    parts on ebay

tooling
    MSC industrial supply
    J & L industrial supply

J & L is cheaper on most things, MSC has everything, plus for where I am at, J & L will have the stuff shipped out and delivered the next day.

For lathe tooling, stick with kennametal, interstate, hertel for carbide inserts. HSS is usally HSS, stick with USA made stuff and you will have better luck with it. Learn how to grind your own tools, you will need it.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i need to ask the good capt. if it is safe to give the name of a non gun auction service to watch for tooling befor i post it, or email me for the name.
    Permission is granted....
    Feel Free to give the Site Name.....Best.....Captain Kirk....
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    These are great little lathes when properly cared for. I have had two of them. One I had to part out due to a lack of care from the previous owner. I used the parts when needed on my good lathe. This methode adds a lot of good years to an old piece of equipement. I used to browse Ebay for used parts with hit and miss luck. The nice thing about a lathe is it is one tool that can be used on itself. Good luck and happy machining.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I'd also check out http://www.victornet.com/ for tooling
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    another auction site to watch for tooling and accessories is Winternitz. com and watch for machine shop sales, you can attend the auctions on line or in person.
  • Options
    poopahpoopah Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HELLO,I too aquired an atlas(craftsman)12x 28in lathe several years ago.No parts or manual just the machine.I was suprised to find that sears parts department had everything I needed(some a little pricey).I do have a parts list that I could copy and mail,or fax to you.Shout back if I can help.Roger, email heckmanj@ptsi.net