In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Optics for Mini-14 ?

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
As a follow-up to alaskaman's inquiry on a mount for the Mini-14 (and I have the mount ordered based on Frogbert's post - thank you very much!), what suggestions do folks have for the optics to be mounted "Scout style" on this firearm type?

Even though the Mini-14 is a long way from a tack driver, my eyesight is such that if I use iron sights, I might as well throw rocks. I'd not need anything more than 2x, I imagine, and even a red dot / holo sight at 1x would likely do if compatible with the Weaver style mount I ordered.

I'd like something rugged & reliable, but cost is definitely a key factor. I don't need a $350 - $700 scope for this $125 rifle (OK, I admit, I bought it a *long* time ago). I certainly want to keep this below $200 and preferably below $100 if that can be done without seriously compromising performance at the Mini-14's intrinsic level of accuracy (which ain't great). I'd like something which will hold zero and resist damage from bouncing about in a truck rack, say.

I'll thank contributers here in advance rather than eat up the post allowance later. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Two suggestions (which have worked well on my Minis); I Gorilla Glued 1/2 of a 10-22 mount to the forend of my first Scout Mini after shaving down the wood for a flatter surface, installed 2 screws for reassurance, and topped the whole shebang with a Simmons 2-7x handgun scope. It's got plenty of eye relief, a duplex reticle (needs a dot duplex), and hasn't fallen off in 4 years.
    My other Scout Mini wears an El Cheapo red dot on the other 1/2 of the 10-22 mount; setting it up so that you look straight thru it is kind of a pain; but well worth it. It's kinda like sighting through a roll of toilet paper at whatever target you choose.
    One of my non-Scout Minis wears a 8-32x Weaver; go figure.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Brownells - they have an UltiMak forward mount base that's rock solid. Put an NC Star 2-7 power on it & all is OK. I have that setup on my fdolding stock & have had no problems with it.