In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mannlicher 1950

modabeeldamodabeelda Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
looking for a scope mount for a steyr mannlicher 1950. anyone know if there is a current manufacturer making any?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neatest mounts I ever knew of were those made by Redfield. The front base mounted on the receiver ring and the rear mounted on the side of the split bridge. Both locations were drilled and tapped from the factory on the 1961MCA models. Your rifle may not be so drilled and tapped. If it is already drilled and tapped, I would suggest you try to locate a set of Redfield bases. If you are going to drill and tap the receiver I would suggest using a Griffin & Howe quick detachable side mount. This did not directly answer your question but thought the info might be useful.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have from time to time seen old-stock Redfield mount bases on E-Bay, and they will typically bring well over $200, not including rings. No new ones have been made by them for quite a long time, and they are increasingly scarce.

I myself gave up on finding Redfield mounts, and found that S&K Mounts in Warren, PA makes mount bases for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I purchased a set of their "Skulptured" steel mount bases and their unique projectionless rings for my 61 MCA and have been completely pleased, and the price was actually less than I would have paid for the very scarce used or new-old-stock bases plus rings. Service and delivery were also good. I supplied some dimensional data (screw-hole spacing, etc.) to the man who took my order. They have a web-site www.scopemounts.com which you might visit for more information.

I don't work for them, and receive no commission, I am recommending only from my own postive personal experience. One other advantage was that the M-S factory-drilled & tapped holes on my rifle were not perfectly aligned (!!?!), and the generous adjustment available in the S&K mount bases made mounting possible where other types like the Redfield would not have worked out well.
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stongly advise you to look for a G&H or Pachmayr side mount for your Model 1950. There is a removeable sideplate that allows them to be mounted with minimum alteration. While some of the later M-Ss might have had the ring drilled and tapped for the Redfield mount, the 1950s did not. I would be a shame to do so now.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed,if your M-S rifle is not already drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the side mount such as the Griffin & Howe would be ideal. I don't know where to find one of those. I have a G&H side moount on another Mannlicher-Schoenauer, with quick-release attachments, and it is quite nice. I think it was a common scope-mounting method at one time, in the USA, for these rifles.