In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson 38

bluesteel4rbluesteel4r Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a .38 Hand Ejector M&P 2nd Model or Model of 1902. The serial number falls in the range the Blue Book has. 23xxx. It has a C about an inch in front of the number. The problem I have is it has a square butt. And the square butt falls the .38 Hand Ejector M&P 2nd Model, 1st Change. But the serial number range is to high. It starts at 33804. I need to know what it is worth. It has a small amount of wear on the front edge of the barrel. And a small amount of pitting back near the grip.

Thank you for any information you might have

Bluesteel4r

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a smith & wesson that has a 6 inch barrel on the left of the bearrel it says 38 s&w special ctg, thelast patent date is sept 14 09, it has a very dark wood handle with a diamond pattern on it, it is a 6 shot revolver, serial number that is marked in most of the places is is 172*** but on the bottom of the barrel it is marked B172***, and there is another number inside by the barrel that says 1077 (possibly 1Q77).
    i was wondering what model it is, when it was made, and what is an approximate value in good condition?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who owns a Smith & Wesson 38 Special. If anyone can tell me a little history on it or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I believe it has a 6" barrel. The letters USNCPC are stamped on the back strap of the grip. Inside the frame the numbers x 376 x are stamped. ( The xs represent a number also, and there's a gap between the 1st number and the 376, as well as the 376 and the last number ). There's also a lanyard loop on the bottom of the grip. That's all the info I have, again, THANKS Guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad has an old S&W .38. The serial number is 72XXX.
    It says S&W CTG'S on the barrel.
    Can somebody tell me approximately when this gun was made?

Thanks,
    Bobby.
  • Options
    dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flaydermans (5G-092) lists the S&W 38 Hand Ejector, M&P 2nd Model as running serial #'s 20976-33803. From reading through the descriptions, if your has the patent dates 1889,1894,1895,1896,1898,1901 on the barrel, it is just a straight model 1902. If it has the company name and address marked barrel without the patent dates, it is a "1st change" model. Does this help ?

The Flayderman's 8th edition is 5 years old, but lists value ranges
    Very good $135
    Excellent $325

"1st" Change
    Very good $125
    Excellent $275
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a "C" prefix then what you have is a post-war, pre-Model 10 built in 1948

Pictures showing the detail of the revolver (barrel, frame, and rear of cylinder markings) should nail things down. Beyond that there is little that can be done without physically examining the gun.

Value wise. If "C" prefix and in VG to Excellent condition $200-250+. If it is actually a 1902 Second Model in same VG to Excellent condition $400-500+
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    You can get a nifty letter on S&W letterhead from Mr Jenks or his staff if you ask for it. Describe the revolver and give the s/n and you'll get a letter showing when it was sold at retail and the like. At least, that's the way it used to be.

For a fee of $25.00 or so you can get a more detailed document from S&W but I've been satisfied with the documentation I've gotten on my "second-hand" guns which aren't particularly valuable.