In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 VS 300Rum

bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a DPMS LR300 (AR10 type). Does the 300Rum have a big advantage over the 308 Win.?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Advantage in what respect? What tradeoffs are you willing to make?
    308 ammo is inexpensive, recoil is mild, 308 ammo can be found in every backwoods store, under 300yd the 308 will take down just about anything in NA (500 if you know what your doing), 308 is accurate enough to punch paper at 1000yd.
    All the above are also true of the 30-06.

The advantages to the RUM are hunting "thump" at ranges over 500yd, reduced drift at long range (you still have to compensate, just not as much) and making up for a undersized "winkie". 90% of the rum users do so for the last reason. Under 300yd the RUM is a waste of good gunpowder.

BTW, I'm building a RUM, but with a projected weight of 18# and a 30" #8 barrel you know it isn't going to be a "brush gun".
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner1954,

LMAO! So that's been the problem this last year. I never would own a "magnum" until just last year.

The 300 RUM has a LOT! more poop than does a .308. and like tailgunner said most of it is unnecessary and it's a huge waste of powder. It will show it's advantage at 600 yds and beyond. So, if you don't plan on shooting anything but long range a 300 RUM is for you. Also, like TG said you can find .308 everywhere you go, any .308 will run through the rifle you mentioned with little problems. If you are looking to only go out to 1000 yds. the .308 will do.
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the DPMS AR's are chambered in 300 Short Action Ultra Mag (a .308 Win length case), not the 300 Ultra Mag (a long magnum length case). I would think the DPMS in 300 SAUM would be a great performer, however, it would be a lot more expensive to shoot.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go as far as to say the RUM starts life at 500yds and beyond. If I can hit a fair-sized whitetail head on at 417yds, and have her do a flip in the air while spinning 180* to face the other direction before hitting the gound, and the bullet still exited, then that is pretty much the definition of too much gun for the application. The 300RUM is not needed for hunting at anything short of mid-range.

Also, you really need to feel the recoil of the RUM before going that route. Something tells me that is going to be hard on the gas system as well as the bolt and recoil system. She had better be heavy and have a break if you think you are going to make a follow up shot.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,

I would like you to tell us your uses that you have in mind which can have a lot of bearing on the choice.

I had to get my head screwed on right and read the question correctly since I was a little off course the first time I read it.

The DPMS LR-300 is an AR-10 platform stepped up to take the .300 RSAUM or the Remington Short Action Ultra Mag, not the RUM. I know this has been pointed out above.

The DPMS LR-308 is chambered for the .308 Win.

The only problem that I run into when dealing with some of these manufacturers is that no matter what selections or upgrades they offer, they never have the configurations that I think are correct. I guess that puts me outside their marketing bubble...

There are a couple of advantages and disadvatages to these rifles:

- Ballistically, with a 20" barrel and loaded to similar pressures, the 300 RSAUM has about a 200 FPS lead over the .308 Win. chamber. The ideal here would be that the RSAUM should have a slightly longer barrel (24") to gain the most from the cartridge but the decisions are usually based on the shorter barrels being more field expedient.

- The +200 FPS for the LR-300 yields an additional 400 Ft/Lbs of energy when compared to the .308 Win. loaded similarly.

- Major disadvantage is that the LR-300 magazine only hold 4 cartridges.

I do NOT like the 'skeletonized' buttstock design at all. Everything in the outdoors catches on it. I also don't care for the multi-position buttstocks either.

Since I'm not a pseudo-militia type person, I'd buy the LR-300 and put a wood thumbhole buttstock on it followed by a 24" barrel and super high quality glass. Then I'd have to work on the right type of magazines that would offer the ability to get at least 8 shots (preferably 10) in those magazines. The goofy part of this is that I can do all of this with bolt action rifles that I already own except for the semi-auto function which is usually superfluous to me. But I do understand the draw of their concepts.

I like the LR-308 in standard dress and it performs just fine as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a comparison for you to read:

http://www.gunblast.com/DPMS-AR10Carbine.htm

Best.
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the infomation. I shall stay with the .308 Win.
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I love my LR-308. It does less than an inch at 100yds, and recoil is very mild. The only thing I would change is the barrel length. I have the 24", but want to get an upper with the 16" or 18".
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohhhhh,then it ISN'T the RUM[B)] Duhhh, never mind[:)]