In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moro "Shotgun"

JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I posted a question about these a while back and just figured out (I think!) how to post a pic using photobucket. Does anybody know what a arm such as this might be worth? Not thinking of selling as my grandpaw conficated it (along with several others c. 1918) as an officer in the Phillipine Constabulary.

c07c91d9.jpg

Did I post the pic right??? [:D]

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure about the 1918 date? I would think any gun made aroud the first 1/2 of the 20th century would be a break action and not try and incorporate a faux pump look.
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by JackiePapers
    I posted a question about these a while back and just figured out (I think!) how to post a pic using photobucket. Does anybody know what a arm such as this might be worth? Not thinking of selling as my grandpaw conficated it (along with several others c. 1918) as an officer in the Phillipine Constabulary.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't tell from your photo, but some of the homemade shotguns in the Phillipines were "slam fire"- the barrel slid back onto a fixed firing pin. They were easier to make with a file and hand drill than a break-open action. Seem to recall these being known as Paltik or Cigarette Guns. Since there is not a standardized model on these (they tend to be one-of-a-kinds) its worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it- can't just look it up. It is also a reminder that you COULD make a firearm from a chunk of water pipe, a nail and a board if you really had to. Safe- no. Reliable-no. Possible- yes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes... around 1918 is when my grandfather was out there, so the 'gun' is from then or before. And yes.. it is exactly that 11b6r... a 'slam fire' as you dscribe: Insert shell in the barrel, then jerk the barrel back using the 'pump' fore end. I cant imagine what it might be like to fire one of these!!! (And dont intend to find out!)

Here's a couple more pictures of it. Any othjer comments would be welcome.

P3110849.jpg
    P3110848.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First, if you attempt to fire this, you may have to explain yourself to St. Barbara when you get to heaven. REALLY not a good idea. You might drop a note to the curator of the USMC Museum at Quantico, along with some pictures- and a quick read on improvised munitions during WWII in the Phillipines, see if you can find a copy of "An American Guerilla in the Phillipines" by Wolfert. Congrats on having a very nice bit of history!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And my apologies- A Paltik IS a cigarette gun- in effect, a matchlock type that uses a cigarette to fire it. Yours would be a SUMPAK gun- translation- homemade gun. The barrel was typically water pipe or gas pipe. It is also proof that it can be a lot harder to eliminate guns than some folks think. Unless you can eliminate pipe, nails, wire and boards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't DREAM of trying to fire it! [:D]

The other one I have is a little more exotic... has an actual trigger and a wierd linkage to fire it... all made out of tinplate (flattened and cut tin cans... I'll try and post a pic soon.

Thanks for the info.