In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carbine KIt (Picture)

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Five years ago I picked up a Spingfield Armory barrel dated 1-52 on and all of the other kit parts are marked Inland. I just got a Inland receiver with the serial number 3530xx and I know nonthing about carbines. Dollar wise should I put the kit together with this receiver or gather parts to make it original?

I posted the wrong markings on the barrel, its is marked SA, 1-52 as I noted above. Please take a look at the picture of the kit.

Thank, you

Emmett

[img][/img]http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/005174]

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Strictly dollar wise, sell off the carbine kit and receiver to someone that does know something about carbines.

It will never be original so forget that. You will incur additional expense having it put together by someone else, plus the parts aren't cheap.

Buy things you do know about.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know the date your receiver was made. But, all USGI carbines were made during WWII, so what difference does it make? Your barrel was made in 1952, so you sure couldn't use it to "restore" a WWII carbine.

I never heard of "New Inland Armory", & have no idea what kind of parts your "kit" has. Inland Division of General Motors didn't make parts after WWII, so neither of us knows what kind of barrel you have. And, I can't see from here if your receiver is in good enough condition to use.

I agree with Skyking that, dollarwise, you would be better off selling the receiver & parts than putting together a parts gun. Some buyers are going to ask questions that you won't be able to answer, but you still should be able to sell everything at a profit.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the positive input. I'll make a shooter out of the other receiver I have and put the Inland together with the kit.

Sorry, I could not get a photo of the proof marks and date on the barrel, need some more experience with photos.

Thanks, again

Emmett[img][/img]http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/005174
  • Options
    JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What am I missing..? I dont see a receiver in the picture(s)... Where did you get that "kit" Emmett? Just curious...

Thanks...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought the kit in Washington State, I tryed to find the info on the guy I bought it from and I could not find it. The receiver I'm working on, cleaning and polishing it getting ready to parkerize. I'm about 150.00 away from having this piece together and wanted to find out the best way to go on putting it toghther.

I found out the SA barrel was used to rebuild carbines for the Korean war.

Thanks

Emmett
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jack, we deliberately use different definitions of "kit", just to confuse people. When we talk about black powder guns to be assembled from parts, the entire group of pieces is a "kit". But, for modern arms, we define a "kit" as all the parts except for the receiver.

For more than 10 years USGI guns, & their parts, have not been imported due to the Clinton/Bush executive ban. So, the supply of m1 carbine parts has just about dried up; no one has enough to sell the "kits" that once were common. Emmett was smart enough to get a kit when they were still available. His Springfield Armory barrel alone is worth $300-400.

Emmett, the only way to put it together is to find a gunsmith, preferably a service trained armorer. You cannot do it yourself. I had the one pictured below assembled from a kit by Paul S. White, Gaithersburg, MD.

Neal

346664468%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3238%3E75%3B%3E6%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32335%3B3%3B53669nu0mrj
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    emmett, the gunsmith i work for tells me it is simple to replace barrels and he charges $25 to do it. as well as other smiths in my area.