In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lifetime carry permit in Indiana

tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
when does the new lifetime handgun permit come into effect? i have to renew mine in may

thanks

Tater

Comments

• Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Dream on! They like the fees too much to do that game!

Sig232
    NRA Patron Member[:(]
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am from Indiana and I have not lived there for some time, when I was living there two things the people there did not like was fees and taxes! I hope it has not changed.

Emmett
  • Options
    ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels signed two bills pushed by gun-rights advocates in a brief Statehouse ceremony Tuesday.

One change, effective July 1, will allow gun owners to get a lifetime carrying permit. Under current law, if gun owners want to carry their guns, they must apply for a carrying permit, pay a $25 fee and renew the permit every four years.

The new law, which was sponsored by state Rep. Troy Woodruff, R-Vincennes, allows current permit holders to pay $100 to convert to a lifetime, unlimited carrying permit. A new lifetime carrying permit would cost $125. Owners could also still opt to get a four-year permit, but the act increases the price to $40.

The cost for a lifetime qualified license, issued for hunting and target practice, will be $60 to convert an existing license and $75 for a new lifetime license.

Gun rights advocates backed the bill and said Indiana would be the first state in the nation with a lifetime carrying permit. Several proponents, including roughly 35 people from 2nd

Amendment Patriots in Southwestern Indiana, came to the Statehouse for a Tuesday signing ceremony with the governor.

"This is really a big deal," said Steve McBrian of Boonville, who is also running for the House District 74 seat.

Thomas Weddle of Fort Branch made the trip with his wife and five children.

"I came up for my children to see government in action and how citizens can make a difference by representing their beliefs to the Legislature," Weddle said.

Jim Tomes, leader of the group, said the legislation passed this year was the most progress the state has seen on gun rights in years.

"This year, by far, we have the most spectacular goals we've accomplished," Tomes said.

The bill also requires the Indiana State Police to set up an online application process and participate in the National Instate Criminal Background Check System if federal funds are available to pay for the changes.

The second bill adds a provision on using force for self defense, stating that a person does not have a duty to retreat before using reasonable force to protect himself or another person who is in danger.

The amended law also now states that a person does not have a duty to first try to flee before using deadly force to defend against someone breaking into his home or car.

Representatives from national gun rights groups also attended the ceremony. Daniels said that with the deadline for signing bills into laws, he can only spare enough time to do ceremonies for the most noteworthy.

"For those of us who believe the 2nd Amendment means exactly what is says ... this is exactly the kind of step we need to take," Daniels said.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    New York's CCW is lifetime, or was at least when I got mine.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    New York's CCW is lifetime, or was at least when I got mine.

Is a NY carry permit almost impossible to get and is it good in the city of N.Y. Reason I ask is because I thought NY was super tough on gun rights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is amazing news! I can't believe I moved out of Indiana in 1969. We called it the land of taxes then and people had license plates made up on the front of their cars, they did not have to have a front plate at that time, the plate said "Indiana Land of Taxes".

So the lifetime gun permit is a giant step forward, not just for Indiana but for the Nation as a whole. I hope Oregon can take that same step in the future.

I still like Oregon a heck of a lot better than Indiana but they seem to be a lot more progressive in the gun rights dept, except for the hunting restrictions. I guess its necessary since the state is a lot more populated than this state. No high powered rifles for hunting in Indiana, if I have my facts correct. Only shotguns, bows, and black powder. Handguns also, I believe.

Congrats to those of you living in Indiana. Your political folks are looking out for your rights!

Sig232
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I noticed that "codenamepaul" indicated thet he has a lifetime carry permit in New York. I thought you could not own a handgun in New York City. Is that for law enforcement folks only or are the laws different for upsate New York?

Sig[|)]
  • Options
    barnjoerbarnjoer Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish Texas would go to Life time, that way the 50% of those in Texas that have carried for years in this state would be legal. I have carried for years before it was legal & half of the town I am from have alse, is't just A way of life here if Texas & the local Police know it.
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nys carry permit is good for life...nyc is the only place that you have to apply for a seperate permit to carry in nys ..also not that hard at all to get....as long as your record is clean..tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought you practically had to sleep with the mayor's wife to get a gun permit in New York City.

Sig