In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam bringback ID-----Help please

pfinpfin Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for the "industry standard" definition of what a "Vietnam Bringback" would be and how to identify an SKS rifle as such. I realize that the official capture papers would be desirable but in the absence of capture papers, how would one ID a bringback.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it in your possition prior to 1980, (the bulk of the imports started after that date), and can you prove it?

IOW the papers are the only way to proove it, but provable possition prior to the time of mass import means it is "most likely" a bringback (regesteration papers, bill of sale etc)
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Capture papers" ARE the "industry standard" for a bring back. Obviously, you know that.

As Tailgunner points out, anything less than that will, at best, be "most likely".

A "bring back" without papers can usually be identified because it will not have import markings, required for imports since 1968.

Neal
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    "Capture papers" ARE the "industry standard" for a bring back. Obviously, you know that.

As Tailgunner points out, anything less than that will, at best, be "most likely".

A "bring back" without papers can usually be identified because it will not have import markings, required for imports since 1968.

Neal

Sooooooo, Neal, are you saying that anything but a bringback will have import marks?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used the word "usually" for a good reason.

It's certainly possible that some SKS's were legally brought into the US before 1968 by individuals not in the US military, & these wouldn't have been marked. But, until the 1970's, there weren't sufficient SKS's on the world market for US importers to bring in.

Individually imported guns & military bringbacks are the only military Chinese SKS's in the US; all SKS's with import markings are commercial rifles made by the Chicoms for the export market. That's why bringbacks are worth so much to collectors.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank very much. A couple more questions and some clarification and we can wrap this up.
    1. So in the absence of capture papers, the next method of ID would be if it is import marked? If import marked it WOULD NOT be a vietnam bringback by the way that term is accepted in the firearm industry?
    2. I am assuming then that the values of a Chinese sks would be, in order:
    A) SKS with capture papers
    B) SKS w/o papers and not import marked
    C) SKS with import marks (the most common)
    I see the common, import marked Chinese SKS selling for $50 to $125 in fair condition, more for better conditions. What would the selling price ranges be for the:
    A) SKS with capture papers ( fair condition)
    B) SKS w/o papers and not import marked (fair condition)
    Thanks for your help. I needed advise from Collectors and dealers on this subject for a paper I am writing. Very helpful!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that your assumptions are good. However, there is no enough data for sales of non-import marked SKS's to be sure. My anecdotal observation has been that undocumented rifles will sell in the $250-350 range, & documented bring backs can bring in the area of $500.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Can you get a certified statement from the individual who brought the SKS back from Nam with him? I brought an SKS (Russian manufacture because they were a better quality), and 3 bayonets for it home in 1970. Applied for the paperwork 4 months ahead of my return date. Papers had not come thru by the time I left Nam. I was told they would be mailed to me at home. I never did receive the papers. Had no problem leaving Nam or flying across the US from California to Maine carrying the rifle.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    had a bring back chinese sks, made in 1967. the dealers at a local show said it was a bring back and the best one they ever seen, but would not give me $175 because i had no papers, while they were selling one with papers for $800? so i sold it to a buddy for $150!