In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini-14 Barrel

adamj812adamj812 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Where can I get a cheap barrel swap for these Mini-14's? Accuracy Systems packages start at $500. That's more than i paid for the gun! Can a gunsmith install a .223 bull barrel blank affordably? thanks for any input

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone make a heavy duty barrel for the Ruger Mini-14? Am looking for a S.S. bull barrel. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi all,

Any of you know where I can find or if I can get a heavy varmint barrel for my Ruger Mini-14? I have a stainless version and for some reason the barrel is starting to rust!?! No idea why, because it should be stainless anyway. Would like to replace it with a heavier barrel anyway. So any ideas?

-Adam
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a strange scenario. Is the rust on the outside of the barrel?
    Is the inside of the barrel pitted or rusted?
    Did you shoot a lot of old military surplus corrosive ammo in it without cleaning it for quite a while?
    Have you tried different solvents, like mineral spirits or naptha, kerosene or turpentine, or gun solvent to remove the "rust" or stain that you are seeing? Maybe it's not rust.

Point 2: The Ruger Minis are designed for getting off a few quick shots, lightness and ease of handling, but not for extreme accuracy,
    therefore I don't believe you'd be advised to put a "heavy barrel" on it, even if they made one for it, which I don't know, but I doubt.
    The rotating bolt, semi-auto action is not what one should choose when selecting a super accurate small-bore for varmints. Because of the location of the gas port on a Mini 14, the action actually starts in motion before the bullet leaves the barrel, which can cause mmovement of the point of aim! It's like an AK, something you learn to shoot quickly by feel, ripping off half a dozen shots at a coyote, pig or deer(or armed intruder) within a couple of hundred yards, don't you see.

How old is it, and in what condition? If it is relatively new, and actually rusting from moisture, (a big if) then Ruger might give you a deal on it in exchange for a real bolt action, heavy-barreled varmint rifle. More likely, you'll need to sell it, research varmint rifles, and buy one.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adam,

There are some members of the forum that are pretty good with metallurgy and the formulations of steel but I can give you the jist of the problem while we see if they'll chime in.

The term 'stainless' can be a misnomer when it comes to rust or staining. The correct term should be rust resistant because the types of stainless that we use in the firearms industry is neither stainless or rust free and will show rust given exposure to the right conditions. Ask anyone who lives and owns firearms in Alaska or on any of the waterways in the U.S.

A simple fix is very fine steel wool (0000) and some light machine oil used to polish off the rust. Then remember to clean the barrel after each use and wipe down the outside of rifle with a good preventative product, there are dozens on the market. It's also possible that you are one of those folks who have a lot of acid in the oil in their skin and that will carry over to your steel parts when handling them. Be sure to wipe the parts down after you touch them.

Here is a group that works with the Mini-14 and uses heavier barrels:

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/stabilizer.htm (discontinued the heavy barrels)

I think Brownells still carries the heavy barrels also as parts:

www.brownells.com

I am not an advocate of putting any extra money into a Ruger Mini-14 or -30 because of the design of the rifles. I thinks it's a waste of time and money that could be better spent on a good rifle. However, if this is what you decide, pick a gunsmith that knows Mini-14's and knows what works and what doesn't. For more information on the barrels and gunsmiths, do a search on the internet using the terms 'Ruger Mini-14 barrels'. You should get a pretty good list.

Best.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    E-Bay (as much as I hate their anti-gun stance) is a great source to find Mini-14/30 parts. I'm on there nearly every day, looking at what is coming down the pike. Most of it is pretty useless for me, but, at any given time, there's several barrels available, both in blued and stainless finishes.

HOME>SPORTING GOODS>HUNTING>GUN PARTS>RIFLE>BARRELS then search "Mini-14." As of today (3/27 7:44 eBay time), there are two stainless barrels via this search. When you do search, be sure to check off the box "check under titles and description" as you get more results, and too many people don't know how to properly list their wares.

If you're in a big city, you might also want to visit your next gun show. If you've never been to one, you might be amazed as to what's available. I have no problem finding parts, strange or not, for the Mini-14/30.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I have seen them sold on gunbroker with heavy barrells the description said it was a custom barrell so i would talk to a gunsmith