In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

17HMR pistol accuracy?

mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at the Ruger Hunter 7 1/2 in barrel and the Taurus with a 12 inch barrel - Anyone have these? What kind of accuracy do they have at 100yds with a scope? How about velocity?

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I don't have these in a pistol but I do shoot lots of calibers in a pistol and they will shoot as good and often better than a rifle will.
    There is not enough velocity loss to worry about..
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have the 8.x" bbl Taurus. It is pretty accurate, but I have not shot it at 100 yards. What are you planning on doing with it? I pretty much stoped shooting varminits with it when it failed to kill 2 ground squirls. I was shooting the CCI TNT's at the time, and I am not impressed. I will only shoot the Hornadys now. Both squirls were on the same day at a distance of about 20 feet.

What I am saying is that with the CCI's they passed through leaving little holes and the squirls made it back to their holes. That is the only cailber I have really had that problem with. On .22 it dumps their energy in the squirl killing them. Most of the other calibers I use the squirls come apart and head in several different directions.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I have the 8.x" bbl Taurus. It is pretty accurate, but I have not shot it at 100 yards. What are you planning on doing with it? I pretty much stoped shooting varminits with it when it failed to kill 2 ground squirls. I was shooting the CCI TNT's at the time, and I am not impressed. I will only shoot the Hornadys now. Both squirls were on the same day at a distance of about 20 feet.
    so you are sayin that you hit two ground sqirrels @ 20 feet and a 17 HMR didnt kill them???
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can kill a squirrel with a 5.1 grain .17 BB at 650 fps from an air rifle. . .then you can kill a squirrel with a 17 grain .17 bullet at 1600 fps.

Like with anything else, its about shot placement.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    If you can kill a squirrel with a 5.1 grain .17 BB at 650 fps from an air rifle. . .then you can kill a squirrel with a 17 grain .17 bullet at 1600 fps.

Like with anything else, its about shot placement.

that's what i thought.......
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    mbsams:
    Try shooting them in the front, insted of in the A**....
  • Options
    stuartstuart Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Taurus Shillouette (sp) in 17HMR with a Bushnell scope....lots of fun...did kill one Bobcat with it at about 150 feet...kind of wish sometimes I had gone ahead and gotten a full size rifle in .17...dang near the same with a 12" barrell...
  • Options
    SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recently we did a thread on 22WMR velocities from a rifle vs a pistol with corresponding chrono data and found a pretty big difference. I wonder if that's what's going on here?
  • Options
    gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could you post the thread please

Thankyou and Godbless