In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hi Point Handguns

bobjensen1bobjensen1 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone out there have any opinions about the new Hi Point Handguns by Polar Bear Ordinance? I have a variety of opinions from a very good gun to a "piece if crap". The price is certainly tempting for a "plinker".

Comments

• Options
    bobjensen1bobjensen1 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you guy's opinion on these pistols? I was just wondering, because the price on them are SUPER low.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , here we are again , before anyone else states it , yoy can 'search' for these as a topic and see what all has been posted !
    and now , these are the one of the very few we do not sell in our shop , will not attempt to 'smith' on them , have seen several that where blown into pieces !!! Junk !!! just about covers it ..........
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are the finest weapons ever devised by man. the only reason kimbers or other "reputable" gunmakers cost so much is because of George Bush and the NeoCons. George Patton would apply his famous praise of the M-1 rifle to the handgun in question if he were still around.
    Sorry, for the sarcasm, But i suspect you knew the answer- You get what you pay for. If you want something that works glock or ruger, taurus are the cheaper ones.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I might point out that High Points have a lifetime warranty and therefore there should be litle (if Any) request for gunsmiths to do any "smithing" on them. If it breaks, send it back to them and they'll fix or replace it FREE. So I suspect that Tsalvo303 doesn't work on them because no one has asked him to. Why would they?
    Granted they are not of Colt, S&W, Glock or Ruger quality. But they cost MUCH MUCH less also. Truely you get what you pay for, a much cheaper handgun in every respect. (you already knew that).
    But in my eperience High Points are NOT to confuzed w/the Lorcins of the 1990's. They do work and are resonably reliable and accurate. And generally the people who complain about them are the gun snobs who think ANYTHING under $500. is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the speculation, but what good is a gun if you can't depend on it when you need it! I don't care if they send you two free ones.
    The margins are higher on junk guns. I am not a dealer.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we sell a steady but limited number of hi-point pistols and very seldom get one brought back or complained about. most of them work as intended.
    the carbine they make in 9mm is highly recommended by some knowledgeable shooters.
    if I wanted a cheap pistol its the one I would pick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, I got you confuzed w/ ABCguns. I have friends who own High Point guns and I have fired them. So far I have heard of or seen 0 problems. I wouldn't expect one to last as long as one of the better made much more expensive guns. But as cheap plinker or an inexpensive SD weapon, I don't see a problem w/them.
    Obviously the arguments against High Points don't come from facts. Why would anyone ask (and PAY) a gunsmith to work on one when the factory will do it FREE? And it is reported that High Points have one of the LOWEST return rates in the industry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its ok,
    Makorovs I am sure we would agree are excellent values as are trade-in SW revolers
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Absolutely! In fact when I was looking at the High Point as an inexpensive SD weapon, I ended up choosing a Makarov.
    More expensive, but IMO a superior weapon at not that much more of cost.
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abcguns2
    have seen several that where blown into pieces !!! Junk !!! just about covers it ..........
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

Help me understand what you have written. You have seen several Hi-Points explode? You yourself, not your cousin Joey, or your neighbor Billy from down the street. Do you still have any of the frames? What evidence do you have of a Hi-Point self destructing? Are you sure that the proper ammo was used during the "Kaboom"? Do you have the shell casings? Could you post a couple of pictures?
    Dean
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abcguns2
    have seen several that where blown into pieces !!! Junk !!! just about covers it ..........
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

As a LEO you do understand that unsupported testimony is completely worthless?
    Dean