In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semi-Auto Shotgun for the wife

sirrichardsirrichard Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2006 in Ask the Experts
I would like a little help with finding the right shotgun for the wife. She enjoys the destruction of a 12ga but does not like the kick of our Mossberg 500 20". I thought if I went to a semi-auto 12ga she could still have fun without the high recoil. At the local gun show she found the Benelli's and Beretta's and liked the look and feel of them. I was looking into the M1 or M4 Benelli 18.5" however I was told a Beretta would have less kick and would eject the low recoil and target loads better then the Benelli. I don't want to go longer the 20" at this time.

What type of recoil system is more efficient at absorbing the recoil gas or spring?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    My wife has a 12ga Beretta and it barely kicks at all. She uses it when we shoot sporting clays and never complains about the recoil.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the new 12 guage Beretta xtrema 2. Your wife can shoot it with one hand. Twelve times!!!! As a side note it is supposed to eat a mixture of 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells, wow!
  • Options
    headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has as much to do with the way shells are loaded as it does the gun. Factory loads are loaded hot so they will work in everything from new/slick autos to old/dirty ones. My father-in-law has loaded for little boys for years. He loads a 12 ga down to where it hardly shows any recoil at all. If you dont have to go Auto, go with a nice SXS, O/U or pump and get a basic Mec loader and do some light 12ga loads. If the two of you shoot much, you will soon be money ahead. Just be aware that if the load is too light it will not "work the action" on some Autos.
    As for the Moss. 500. Had one. I would not call it KICKING, I would call it KILLING ON BOTH ENDS! Owned it about one duck hunt.
    Don't let her shoot heavy loads or get kicked. She will begin flinching and that's a real bad deal.
    Good luck
    Headboy
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 gauge is a 12 gauge, an auto 12 is probably the same if not more kick then a 20. But anyway I have a Remington 1100 and I like it a lot. I think it would be cheaper then a beretta as well.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY Closed bolt / action shotgun transmits 100% of the recoil to the shooter. Closed bolt /action shotguns are all pumps, over/unders and side by sides. Your Mossberg is a closed bolt.

Most Semi-Auto loading shotguns have a "Felt" Recoil of about 40%

Yes, "Target" loads generate less energy then "Field" loads, but the recoil of a "Skeet" load in an Over/Under will still be a handful for small people.

Get her a GAS operated Semi-auto. She will be very happy.

If money is no object, get her the Beretta xtrema 2. And get the longer barrel.
  • Options
    MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sirrichard
    What type of recoil system is more efficient at absorbing the recoil gas or spring?

GAS
  • Options
    coldcachecoldcache Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Beretta Extrema 2 is the finest shotgun made at this
    time. They will run you around 1,180.00, but would be
    worth it for your wife. I have sold five, two to women,
    all 12 gauges. Jerry
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    iceracerx has it right.

I did quite a bit of research for my wife. Gas operated, ported, overbored, and the main thing is to get the gun "fitted" to her. I arrived at the Browning Lady Gold, but there are others. 12 ga. is about the same as a 20, so go 12 ga, she'll hit more birds and want to shoot more. Most gas guns have different port slides for target vs. field, the Beretta is great, Winchester X2, Browning Gold.

Get it fitted, and she'll have fun.

Best of luck
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shotgun for your wife? I got a rifle for mine and I thought it was a good trade.

Honestly a gas operated wil have much less recoil. I got a Remington 11-87 for my wife to shoot and she loves it and the price was spot on also.

Lance
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink
    A shotgun for your wife? I got a rifle for mine and I thought it was a good trade.

Honestly a gas operated wil have much less recoil. I got a Remington 11-87 for my wife to shoot and she loves it and the price was spot on also.

Lance

I agree..11-87 Euro(SP)Light 20ga.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Benelli all the way.

Benelli might be slightly lighter and therefore kick a little bit more - but take a critical look at what cartridges she would be shooting.

I seriously doubt the Benelli would kick more than Beretta - not anything notisably anyhoo.

In any case I would take the benelli.